KSU Kickoff Is Here!
KSU Kickoff, Kent State University’s four-day new student orientation, will take place from Aug. 19-22. Students can select from more than 50 different events from Sunday to Wednesday. KSU Kickoff helps students transition into the university community and learn about academic and social opportunities at Kent State.
“KSU Kickoff is a great name for this start-of-school event, as our goal is to get students connected and plugged into our campus community right away,” says Josh Perkins, Kent State’s assistant director for Student Success Programs. “The KSU Kickoff event provides many different events in a short amount of time so that the majority of our students can find something of interest the minute they step onto campus. Additionally, KSU Kickoff is a great opportunity for our new students to connect with each other, as well as campus staff and faculty. We encourage everyone to attend as many events as they can.”
Move-in day begins Sunday, Aug. 19, with several events continuing through Wednesday, Aug. 22. KSU Kickoff is a requirement for first-year students, although students are not required to attend all events. Required events for students include:
Sunday, Aug. 19:
- 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. – KSU Kickoff Check-In (Kent Student Center Ballroom)
Monday, Aug. 20:
- 7 to 8 a.m. – Commuter Student Check-In (Kent Student Center, second floor)
- 8 to 9 a.m. – Commuter Student Informational (Kent Student Center Ballroom)
- 9:30 to 10 a.m. – Dean’s Welcome (Various locations; students will get information at check-in)
- 10:30 a.m. – Convocation, Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center (MAC Center)
- 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. – First-Year Experience Lunch (Kent Student Center)
- 1 p.m. – First-Year Experience Course First Meeting (Various locations; students will get information at check-in)
- 2 p.m. – Common Reading Discussion (Various locations; students will get information at check-in)
Tuesday, Aug. 21:
- 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. – THIS IS KENT STATE! (MAC Center; students participating in Ambassadors in Action are exempt from this session)
Students can enjoy several other activities during KSU Kickoff, including Discover Downtown from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 22, a stage performance by hypnotist Michael C. Anthony from 10 to 11 p.m. in the Kent Student Center Ballroom, movies and more.
Additionally, Blastoff, which will take place on Wednesday, Aug. 22, from 4:30 to 9:30 p.m., concludes KSU Kickoff. This event gives students the opportunity to learn about and connect with more than 200+ student organizations. Students also can enjoy hot air balloon rides, inflatables, music and a laser light show.
A complete listing of events and the schedule can be found online at www.kent.edu/success/schedule. You can also download the KSU Kickoff app at check-in.
For more information about the 2018 Common Reading book, visit www.kent.edu/success/reading.