What type of optional short-term disability insurance is available for employees?
Kent State University is currently offering employees the opportunity to apply for guaranteed-issue Aflac short-term disability coverage (up to $3,000) to supplement any existing benefits. That means no medical questionnaire is required*.
Short-term disability coverage is designed to provide, to persons insured, coverage for disabilities resulting from a covered accident or sickness, subject to any limitations set forth in the policy. Coverage is not provided for basic hospital, basic medical-surgical or major medical expenses.
Full-time employees working 19 or more hours per week are eligible. The insured must earn a minimum of $9,000 per year to be eligible for coverage. The proposed insured must be between 18 and 74 years of age to be covered; the policy terminates on the policy anniversary date following the proposed insured’s 75th birthday.
Aflac short-term disability is sold on an individual basis.
- You can choose a plan based on your financial needs and income.
- Your Aflac plan stays with you even when you change or leave your job.
- Aflac pays you a cash benefit for each day you are disabled, once the elimination period has been met.
- Aflac does not coordinate benefits with other insurance carriers.
- Aflac provides benefits for both total and partial disability. Even if you are able to work, partial disability benefits may be available to help compensate for lost income.
- Premiums may be waived when you have a prolonged disability.
* Note: The guaranteed-issue amount is still subject to policy provisions, including the pre-existing condition limitations clause, the 30-day waiting period for sickness and the 270-day pregnancy exclusion.
Coverage is underwritten by American Family Life Assurance Company of Columbus. This is a brief product overview only. Coverage may not be available in all states. The policy has limitations and exclusions that may affect benefits payable. Refer to the policy for complete details, limitations and exclusions. For costs and complete details of the coverage, please contact your local Aflac agent.