Michael Strickland is a theoretical physicist who specializes in high-energy particle physics, heavy ion collisions, and finite temperature/density quantum field theory. Michael's primary interest is the physics of the quark-gluon plasma (QGP). These plasmas are predicted by quantum chromodynamics (QCD) to have existed until approximately 10-5 seconds after the big bang and are currently being studied terrestrially by experimentalists at the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) at Brookhaven National Labs and the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. These exciting experiments are increasing our knowledge of the behavior of matter under extreme conditions.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- W. Florkowski, R. Maj, R. Ryblewski, and M. Strickland, Hydrodynamics of anisotropic quark and gluon fluids, Phys. Rev. C 87, 034914 (2013).
- A. Mocsy, P. Petreczky, and M. Strickland, Quarkonia in the Quark Gluon Plasma, Int. J. of Mod. Phys. A, Vol. 28, 1340012 (2013).
- M. Attems, A. Rebhan, and M. Strickland, Instabilities of an anisotropically expanding non-Abelian plasma: 3D+3V discretized hard-loop simulations, Phys. Rev. D 87, 025010 (2013).
- M. Strickland, V. Dexheimer, and D.P. Menezes, Bulk Properties of a Fermi Gas in a Magnetic Field, Phys. Rev. D 86, 125032 (2012).
- W. Florkowski, R. Ryblewski, and M. Strickland, Chromoelectric oscillations in a dynamically evolving anisotropic background, Phys. Rev. D 86, 085023 (2012).
- M. Martinez, R. Ryblewski, and M. Strickland, Boost-Invariant (2+1)-dimensional Anisotropic Hydrodynamics, Phys. Rev. C 85, 064913 (2012).
- M. Strickland and D. Bazow, Thermal Bottomonium Suppression at RHIC and LHC, Nuclear Physics A 879, 2558 (2012).
- M. Strickland, Thermal Υ(1s) and χb1 suppression in √sNN = 2.76 TeV Pb-Pb collisions at the LHC, Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 132301 (2011).
- J.O. Andersen, L.E. Leganger, M. Strickland, and N. Su, QCD Trace Anomaly, Phys. Rev. D 84, 087703 (2011).
- J.O. Andersen, L.E. Leganger, M. Strickland, and N. Su, NNLO hard-thermal-loop thermodynamics for QCD, Phys. Lett. B 696, Issue 5, 468 (2011).
- M. Margotta, K. McCarty, C. McGahan, M. Strickland, and D. Yager-Elorriaga, Quarkonium states in a complex-valued potential, Phys. Rev. D 83, 105019 (2011).
- High Energy Physics
- Finite Temperature Field Theory
- Quark Gluon Plasma
- Heavy Ion Collisions
Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies, Adjunct Fellow
Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, KITP Scholar
OFFICEDepartment of Physics
206B Smith Hall
CONTACT INFOPhone: 330-672-3771
COURSES TEACHINGSpring 2013
- PHY 50096 - 002 Individual Investigation
- PHY 66162 - 001 Quantum Mechanics Ii
- PHY 60098 - 061 Research