- GIS | Health & Hazards Lab
- City and Community Studies Initiative
- Center for Ecology and Natural Resource Sustainability
Poland & the Czech Republic
MAY 20 - JUNE 2
COST TBA (UNDER $3000)
Poland – Czech Republic is available as a 3-credit course in Spring 2013, culminating with the trip in May. Kent State students as well as the general public may also participate in the trip without taking it for credit.
CONTACT DAVE KAPLAN OR WERONIKA KUSEK
- May 20: We depart Cleveland in the afternoon, and arrive the next day in Warsaw, Poland.
- May 21: Warsaw: Exploring Old Town and settling in. We will see the Castle Square, the Mermaid fountain (legend says that mermaid lived in the Vistula River and protected the townspeople), we will pass by the Belweder, where the President of Poland resides.
- May 22: Warsaw: Copernicus Science Center, Chopin's Museum, and Lazienki Warszawskie Park- summer residence of the last Polish King XVII century. Evening at Warsaw's Old Market.
- May 23: Warsaw - Krakow: Warsaw Uprising Museum. In Krakow we visit Old Town, St. Florian's Gate, Collegium Maius Brama Florianska, Kosciol Mariacki. Evening at Krakow's Old Market.
- May 24: Krakow: Wawel Castle in the morning. In the afternoon we explore Krakow's Jewish district by golf carts. Chopin concert in the evening.
- May 25: Krakow - Wieliczka: We will depart for Wieliczka Salt Mine - one of the world's oldest salt mines. The mine's attractions include dozens of statues, 3 chapels, and an entire cathedral that has been carved out of the rock salt by the miners.
- May 26: Auschwitz: We will visit the largest of the German concentration camps. In the afternoon we will leave for Zakopane.
- May 27: Zakopane: We will spend the day hiking the Morskie Oko Lake which is the largest and fourth deepest lake in the Tatra Mountains. It is located deep within the Tatra National Park, Poland.
- May 28: Zakopane: Tatra Museum to explore the culture of Gorals who are a group of indigenous people found along southern Poland. Rafting on Dunajec River.
- May 29: Zakopane - Prague: Gubałówka mountain in the morning. Leave for Prague, Czech Republic around noon (7h drive).
- May 30: Prague: Prague Castle, Castle Square, Castle Gate, and Courtyards, St. Vitus Cathedral (Castle Quarter). Little Quarter (Perrin Hill). Charles Bridge.
- May 31: Prague: The Old Town (the Astronomical Clock, the Jewish Quarter-most interesting collection of Jewish sights in Europe). We will visit the Museum of Communism.
- June 1: Prague: The Lesser Quarter of Prague. The Bone Church of Kutna Hora.
- June 2: Departure for Cleveland