Humanities Learning Community
The HLC Community is a great opportunity to live and learn among fellow humanities majors during your first year through senior year while adjusting to college life at Kent State University. Students take core coursework together, study as a community, participate in both fun and educational activities and build a string network among peers to be successful in college and in your major.
HLC students are considering a major in Classics, English, History, Modern & Classical Language Studies, Pan-African Studies, or Philosophy. HLC students live together, learn together and have interaction with some of Kent State's best faculty. HLC students are required to enroll in core courses for their specific majors together. Students also participate in weekly study sessions.
- Opportunities to share and develop partnerships with students who have similar academic interests and career aspirations.
- Unique programming centered on student needs which include group dinners, speakers from fields of student interests, student panels, and workshops to assist students to successfully transition into college.
- Interaction with faculty through departmental tours, faculty rap sessions in the residence hall and academic advising.
- Intrusive academic support, instructional sessions, and advising.
- Participation in a community of scholars beginning in the student's first year through graduation as a Kent State student!
Students must complete the CAS Residential College application.
See Admissions for qualifications and participation requirements.
When possible, HLC students take 2-3 courses together per semester during their first year at KSU. They will also participate in both fun and educational activities. Upper-class students who have met these requirements do not need to enroll in these classes, and should still apply to the program.
See Connected Coursework for the required classes.
Students participate in events that tie specifically to your major, or at least can be applied in many ways. Outside of class, students will participate in one or two activities per month.