Master of Science in Athletic Training
The MS in Athletic Training requires both didactic and clinical education experiences which require the student to meet programmatic standards for optimal and safe participation in clinical experiences. Additional paperwork is required as students on-board for clinical rotations and additional costs are incurred for processes, including but not limited to, background checks, professional liability insurance and travel. A full description of these responsibilities are included in the MS in AT Student Handbook linked below.
Kent State offers a Master of Science in Athletic Training program. This professional program specializes in the prevention, assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries and illnesses.
The MS in Athletic Training program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) with the intention of preparing students to take the BOC exam upon completion of the degree. Students will be enrolling in a two-year intensive and dynamic program. If you meet the requirements, have a bachelor’s degree, and want to become a Certified Athletic Trainer, apply today!
For more details about our Master of Science in Athletic Training program, student requirements, and more, read on.
Mission, Vision & Goals
The disciplinary purpose of this MS degree program is to challenge the students to consider the domains in light of contemporary health care settings and to prepare them for the dynamic career they are about to enter. Further, this program will prepare them to contribute to and expand the existing body of literature through meaningful research in the profession. Through a rigorous yet supportive program, the students will be exposed to and actively engage with state-of-the-art equipment in professional health care facilities and be mentored by highly recognized professionals. This program will also foster inter-professional collaboration to promote professional development for the students who will be practicing and researching in inter-disciplinary teams.
Graduates of the MS in AT program will be able to:
- Successfully challenge the BOC Certification Exams
- Demonstrate understanding of and competency in the domains of athletic training as defined by the BOC Practice Analysis and Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) Curriculum Content.
- Demonstrate competency in evaluating and completing scientific research and evidence-based practice as evidenced in research projects and a comprehensive capstone research thesis.
- Demonstrate competency in engaging in a variety of clinical practice settings related to athletic training with engagement in an inter-professional environment.
- Apply the principles of the research process in athletic training by engaging with faculty and clinical staff in graduate research initiatives
- Engage health care professionals and apply the knowledge gained, through their education in both the classroom and clinical settings.
This program has specific program admission requirements including, but not limited to, important information about clinical site paperwork and travel expectations to clinical experiences. These documents can be found below:
Current undergraduate student, Annika Shuster, discusses her experience taking the Cadaver Anatomy and Applied Assessment course typically offered at the graduate level.
MASTER OF SCIENCE IN ATHLETIC TRAINING ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Students who meet the minimum requirements will be considered for direct admission to the master’s program for summer of each year. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university for unconditional admission:
- Minimum 3.000 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale for unconditional admission
- Completion of prerequisite courses with minimum C grade 1
- Official transcript(s)
- GRE or MCAT scores in the 50th percentile
- Goal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 587 TOEFL PBT score (paper-based version)
- Minimum 94 TOEFL IBT score (Internet-based version)
- Minimum 82 MELAB score
- Minimum 7.0 IELTS score
- Minimum 65 PTE score
STUDENTS ARE EXPECTED TO HAVE PRE-REQUISITE COURSES IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS, ALL COURSE WORK WILL BE EVALUATED FOR ACCEPTANCE:
- Basic Athletic Training
- Anatomy and Physiology - including Exercise Physiology
- General Psychology