Procedures for Faculty Tenure, Promotion and Reappointment
- Annually, the Faculty Advisory Committee shall consider each faculty member eligible for promotion and/or tenure, nominating those deemed qualified. Eligible faculty not nominated by FAC may submit self-nominations.
- Each nominee then follows the University process (guidelines, timetables, and procedures) as circulated each fall by the Office of Provost. These procedures are administered by the School Director, in conjunction with the School's Ad Hoc Advisory Committee for Tenure, Promotion, and Reappointment, the College Advisory Committee, and the College Dean.
- The Provost's guidelines and the procedures stated in the University Register, Collective Bargain Agreement, and the School of Communication Studies Promotion and Tenure Criteria (see Section III of the Handbook) form the basis of all tenure, promotion, and reappointment actions.
- The School will follow the tenure procedures detailed in the University Policy Register regarding Tenure.
- The School will follow the promotion procedures detailed in the University Policy Register regarding Promotion.
- The School will follow the reappointment procedures detailed in the University Policy Register Regarding Reappointment. As stated in that document, "The Criteria used in assessing the quality of scholarship and university citizenship in the review of faculty seeking reappointment should conform to the unit's tenure guidelines in the unit's handbook" -- see University Policy 3342-6-16 (c).