Graduate Dean's Award
Through the Graduate Dean's Award (GDA), the Graduate College works in partnership with units to promote graduate education characterized by diversity in views, experiences, and ideas in the pursuit of research, scholarship, and creative excellence. The GDA seeks to enhance Kent State University's recruitment and support of academically excellent students with diverse backgrounds.
The total award for each recipient is $5,000 to be distributed over two academic years (four consecutive semesters at $1,250 per semester). Award recipients in one-year master's programs will receive $2,500 (two consecutive semesters at $1,250 per semester).
GDA's are awarded to programs for specific applicants and are not transferable to other applicants. Should the nominee decline the offer of admission, or should a student holding a GDA graduate or leave his/her program with supplemental funding remaining, unused funds will be returned to the award pool in the Graduate College.
The GDA will not be continued beyond the original two-year award period.
To be eligible for nomination by the program, a nominee must be:
- An applicant to a master's or doctoral degree program. Current students and applicants to non-degree, guest and certificate programs are not eligible;
- Full time enrollment required;
- A U.S. citizen (or national) or a permanent resident of the U.S; and
- A member of an underrepresented group in their discipline (e.g., women in traditionally male-dominated disciplines, McNair Scholars, individuals with disabilities, ethnic/racial minorities).
To nominate an applicant, the program should complete the Nomination form. Nominations include:
- A brief description of how the applicant would contribute to the diversity of the discipline (including supporting data).
- Nominations are now being accepted for the 2022–2023 academic year.
- Please submit the nomination form and any supporting materials to the Graduate College at email@example.com.
Program nominations will be reviewed by the Dean of the Graduate College. In addition to the nomination form, the Dean will review the nominee's admissions materials (e.g., GPA, GRE scores, letters of recommendation).
The program coordinator will need to notify Alexxus Sidney at firstname.lastname@example.org as to whether the award recipient has accepted or declined the offer.