Graduate Student Appreciation Week
Graduate Student Appreciation Week was started in 1993 by the National Association of Graduate and Professional Students as a way to support and appreciate graduate and professional students. The week seeks to emphasize the contributions, impact, and value of graduate and professional students on campuses throughout the United States.
The 2023 Graduate Student Appreciation Week (GSAW) at Kent State University will be held from April 3-7, 2023. This week is a chance to celebrate our amazing graduate student body for their contributions to the university. Below is a schedule of events that will be hosted by the Graduate College as well as other academic units across campus.
Monday, April 3
Grab and Go Breakfast
212 Williams Hall
- Stop by Williams Hall for grab and go breakfast provided by the Chemistry and Biochemistry department in honor of Graduate Student Appreciation Week.
Graduate College GSAW Kickoff
Kent Student Center Room 218 (2nd Floor Dining Area)
- Join us as we kickoff Graduate Student Appreciation Week by enjoying a free lunch while you connect with other graduate students and graduate student organizations. We also have goodies to hand out that include new Graduate College swag, caramel corn from Popped, and ground coffee from Bent Tree available on a first-come, first-served basis. Complete this brief form if you plan to attend.
- We will have to-go containers for individuals observing Ramadan.
Centering and Celebrating Cultures in Health: A Panel Discussion of Refugee Health in Northeast Ohio
Moulton Hall Ballroom
- Academic, clinical, and community experts on refugee populations will explain who comes to in Northeast Ohio as refugees and discuss challenges facing them and the health-related support services in place in the area. Topics to be explored will include how clinical practice and public health intersect, universal experiences across refugee groups and unique cultural differences between them, and successes and areas for improvement around refugee public health. Registration is required, and lunch will be provided for in-person attendees.
Paint the Rock with CPH
- Join the College of Public Health to paint the rock on front campus.
CCI Faculty/Student Mixer
Taylor Hall 1st Floor Lobby
- The College of Communication and Information welcomes CCI students to a faculty and student mixer during Graduate Student Appreciation Week.
Dine and Donate at Kent Chipotle
605 E Main St
- Stop by the Kent Chipotle and a portion of the proceeds will benefit Public Health Student Allicance (PHSA).
Tuesday, April 4
Ask a Public Health Professional
11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- This event is an interactive experience where students can ask questions about careers in public health, expand their career exploration, and ask other general questions about the variety of pathways towards any profession. Giveaways, prizes, and lunch provided. RSVP Here.
Wednesday, April 5
Rural Health Virtual Brown Bag
- Join the College of Public Health for a brown bag lunch featuring Corey Hamilton, Health Commissioner, Zanesville Muskingum County Public Health.
Design for Graduate Students: How to Design a Research Posters
- The College of Communication and Information invites all graduate students to learn tips regarding research poster design.
The Role of Law in Public Health Practice
- Kent State College of Public Health Associate Professor Thomas Brewer will discuss his career path and opportunities to acquire additional education and training in public health laws and regulations. Join on your computer, mobile app or room device. Click here to join the meeting
Thursday, April 6
Coffee, Cookies, and Cornhole
- The College of Arts & Sciences welcomes you to join them free coffee, cookies, and cornhole during Graduate Student Appreciation Week.
Graduate Student Social (Half) Hour
- Interested in mingling with other public health graduate students at KSU? Stop by the Graduate Student Social Hour! This will be followed by the Public Health Student Awards Ceremony from 3:30-4:30 p.m.
The Road Less Traveled: Unquie Career Paths
- Join CCI Alumni as they discuss their graduate student journies and beyond.
Friday, April 7
Public Health 101
- A PH major/minor can lead to a rewarding career! Join the conversation to learn about what public health has to offer! Concentrations include Allied Health, Clinical Trials Research, Community Health Outreach and Development, Global Health, Health Services Administration, and Pre-Medicine. In addition, we offer minors in Environmental Health, Health Services Administration & Public Health.
Pizza with the Graduate Coordinator and the Chair
12:30 - 1:30 p.m.
ISB Summit Street Commons
- Join the Chemistry and Biochemistry department for pizza with the graduate coordinator and chair.