4 - 11.6
Administrative policy regarding social events sponsored by registered student organizations
- Purpose. This policy shall govern all social events sponsored by registered student organizations held on any Kent state university campus.
- Definitions. A "social event" is a non-academic event on any Kent state university campus where entertainment sponsored by a registered student organization is scheduled to begin or continue after nine p.m., and will be attended by both Kent state university students and non-Kent state university students.
- All social events must be registered by the student organization with university events and conference services no less than forty-five days from the anticipated date of the event.
- Upon acceptance of the completed registration materials, the student organization must attend an event safety and planning meeting as scheduled by the university events and conference services.
- All social events on any Kent state university campus shall end no later than midnight for events scheduled Sunday through Thursday evenings; and no later than one a.m. for events scheduled Friday and Saturday evenings. Ending times are subject to change depending upon space availability, contiguously scheduled events, and/or normal hours of operation.
- Attendees and guests at social events must be either:
- Registered and currently enrolled Kent state university students; or
- Non-student guests accompanied by a current Kent state university student (one guest per student). Guests must be at least eighteen years of age, be able to provide an acceptable form of identification upon request, and sign-in, in order to be admitted to the event.
The Kent state university student is responsible for registering the guest in accordance with university procedures and by doing so agrees to be responsible (to the extent permitted by law or university policy) for the guest’s actions including but not limited to damage to property. Non-student guests who are not registered shall not be admitted to the event.
For example, if a guest is ordered to leave the event by security, university staff, or the student organization representative, the sponsoring student will be required to leave the event as well.
- Social events under this policy shall not be advertised by the sponsoring organizations through off-campus radio, television or newspapers.
- The dean of students or regional campus dean may grant exceptions to this rule. Organizations requesting an exemption must do so in writing no later than ten days prior to the scheduled event.
- If the special events security committee or regional campus dean determines additional security is necessary for the event, the student organization shall be notified and shall be responsible for any additional costs directly related to the event.
- University departments that are co-sponsoring any social event with a registered student organization are strongly encouraged to consult the center for student involvement.
- Violations. Any violation of this policy may subject an event to immediate cancellation or termination by the university. Violations of this policy directly related to actions or inactions attributed to the student organization may result in the ineligibility of the student organization to schedule future events or other sanctions as provided for in the student conduct policy. The dean of students or regional campus dean has the final authority to immediately terminate or cancel an event.
This policy formerly numbered 3342-4-01.6.
Policy Effective Date:
Jan. 02, 2018
Policy Prior Effective Dates:10/22/1986, 2/17/1989, 9/5/1995, 5/28/1997, 10/20/2002, 6/1/2007, 3/1/2015, 11/01/2016, 11/27/2017