5 - 12.18
Administrative policy regarding universal restrooms
- Policy statement. The purpose of this policy is to provide for the consideration and implementation of gender-inclusive restrooms, referred to herein as universal restrooms, in all new construction or major renovations of university facilities.
- “Universal restroom” means any restroom that does not designate a gender and may be used by anyone.
- “Gender-specific restroom” means any restroom that has been designated “men” or “women.”
- “University property” means all university owned, operated, or leased property including but not limited to grounds, buildings, and facilities.
- Scope. This rule applies to the construction of new buildings and major renovations of existing buildings on university property, as well as to existing buildings and facilities with gender-specific single occupancy restrooms.
- Implementation. The division of finance and administration, through the office of the university architect, shall be responsible for the implementation of this policy. The division of diversity, equity and inclusion shall be responsible for working with the division of finance and administration to ensure the implementation of this policy aligns with the strategic mission of the university.
- When possible, at least one universal restroom shall be provided in all new constructions and major renovation projects. Existing gender-specific restrooms may remain as gender-specific restrooms, except in cases of major renovations where such facilities shall be considered for conversion to universal restrooms as determined by the office of the university architect in consultation with the division of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- When feasible as determined by the office of the university architect, the construction or designation of universal restrooms will be considered in existing buildings even if such buildings are not otherwise scheduled for major renovation.
Policy Effective Date:
Mar 01, 2018