5 - 12.901
Operational procedure regarding the use of skateboards, rollerblades, bicycles, and similar conveyances on campus
- Purpose. Those commuting within Kent state university, in order to provide a safer environment for inner-campus commuting, are required to abide by the following.
- Scope of authority. Facility curators and other university officials have authority to enforce this rule within campus buildings.
- No person shall operate a skateboard, rollerblades or a bicycle on a sidewalk or walkway that duly interferes with pedestrian traffic; caution is to be exercised at all times and the right of way yielded to pedestrians.
- No person shall operate a skateboard, rollerblade, bicycle or motorized vehicle on any artificial or specially prepared surface including but not limited to tennis courts, running tracks and basketball courts.
- Bicycle operations.
- Bicycle operators are expected to adhere to all posted warning, caution, or speed limit signs.
- In the absence of posted speed limits, bicycle operators are expected to act in a responsible manner and in respect of local conditions.
- Bicycles are to be secured only to the racks provided; bicycles may not be secured to trees, light poles, posts, handrails, or buildings.
- In residence halls, bicycles may be kept in authorized storage areas; and in student rooms with the approval of all occupants of the room.
- Student center plaza. Through traffic is permitted for bicycles and rollerblades in the student center plaza. Skateboards are not permitted on the plaza.
- Motorized vehicles.
- Only university authorized motorized vehicles, other than wheelchairs, may be operated on sidewalks.
- Mopeds or other gas powered conveyances may not be brought into residence halls.
Policy Effective Date:
Mar. 01, 2015
Policy Prior Effective Dates:10/28/1994, 12/5/1994, 4/20/1995, 10/3/2005, 6/1/2007