5 - 08
University policy regarding collection, retention and dissemination of information about students
- Purpose. In order for the university to achieve its goal of providing for the optimal educational development of its students, it may accumulate and maintain records concerning their characteristics, activities and accomplishments.
- Policy operation. In order to provide for and protect the privacy of its students, the university will collect, retain and disseminate such information according to the following principles:
- Students will have access to information about themselves and its uses in university records.
- Procedures will be established for a student to challenge and correct or amend an inaccurate record.
- The university shall insure that student information is not improperly disclosed or used for other than authorized purposes without the student's consent, unless required by law.
- University personnel who are custodians of data files containing sensitive information shall take reasonable precautions to insure that student data are reliable and not misused.
- Policy and procedures concerning collection, retention and dissemination will be in compliance with state and federal law.
- The president shall promulgate necessary administrative regulations to implement this rule.
Policy Effective Date:
Mar. 01, 2015
Policy Prior Effective Dates:11/4/1977, 9/30/2005, 6/1/2007