Thomas W. Brewer, Ph.D., M.Jur., CHC
M.Jur. Loyola University of Chicago, School of Law, 2016; PhD, Criminal Justice, University at Albany, 2003; MA, Criminal Justice, University at Albany, 1999.
Dr. Thomas Brewer is an Associate Professor of Health Policy and Management, College of Public Health. Dr. Brewer began his career at Kent State in 2002 in the Department of Justice Studies, College of Arts and Sciences. His teaching and research focused on criminal law, criminal procedure, and the law of capital punishment. He served as Research Fellow and Associate Director of the Institute for the Study and Prevention of Violence.
Dr. Brewer served on the exploratory committee for the creation of the College of Public Health and was a founding faculty member. He went on to be Associate Dean for Undergraduate Academic Affairs before returning to the faculty full time in 2013. His current teaching and research interests center on health care law and regulatory compliance. He also teaches in the public health curriculum at the College of Podiatric Medicine and coordinates the joint D.P.M.-M.P.H. program.
Dr. Brewer holds a B.A., Summa Cum Laude, in Criminal Justice Studies from Kent State University, an M.A. and Ph.D. in Criminal Justice from The University at Albany, and a Masters in Jurisprudence in Health Law from the Loyola University of Chicago School of Law. He is Certified in Healthcare Compliance by the Compliance Certification Board. He served in the United States Army and Ohio Army National Guard as a military policemen.
- Brewer, T.W., B.G. Lanese, R. Albright, JD Shih (In Press) Medicaid Coverage for Routine Foot Care: Prevention is Not Routine. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association
- Brewer, T.W., G.K. Bonnah*, & J. S. Cairns*, B.G. Lanese, J. Waimberg (2022) Medicaid Coverage for Podiatric Care: A National Survey. Public Health Reports https://doi.org/10.1177/00333549221076552
- Brewer, T.W., B.G. Lanese, J. Waimberg, J.S. Cairns*, D.A. Armstrong (2020) Past as Prologue: The Effects of the COVID-19 Economic Downturn on Medicaid Coverage for Podiatry Services. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association https://doi.org/1
- Brewer, T.W., D. Alexander, J. Braun* (2020) The Readiness of Skilled Nursing Facilities to Meet Federal Compliance and Ethics Program Mandates. Compliance Today. February, 58-61.
- Brewer, T.W. (2018) Regulatory Implications of the Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement Demonstration Project. Journal of Health Law and Policy. 11(2), 249-274.
- Kukral, L., D. Paulus, D., Brewer, T.W. (2017) Managing Post-Acute Networks. Care Management. 23(5), 14-17 & 35.