Kent State University partners with SPIN to provide shared eBikes and eScooters that are available on campus and within the City of Kent for use by students, faculty, staff, and the community. Approximately 100 eBikes and 100 eScooters will be available starting in March 2022. Riding an eBike or an eScooter is a fast, easy way to get from class to class, run errands, and even a short commute. They are a great option for students, employees, and visitors to Kent State University. Additional information available on the SPIN KSU website.
Biking Events & Resources
National Bike to Work Day
National Bike to Work Day
Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2020 from 7 – 9 a.m.
FREE! Pre-registration IS REQUIRED
Leave your car at home on Tuesday, Sept. 22 as part of National Bike to Work Week. Help reduce our carbon footprint at KSU as you enjoy the health benefits of riding your bike to work. Ride over to the Beverly J. Warren Student Recreation & Wellness Center to check-in, get a free breakfast, and win some prizes while learning about biking activities and amenities available on campus as well as our newly formed Bicycle Advisory Committee. Contact Chris at email@example.com with any questions.
Smart Cycling Classes
The League of American Bicyclists has combined content from Traffic Skills 101, Traffic Skills 201, Group Riding and Commuting curricula into a single Smart Cycling manual, which can be used for a wide range of audiences. There are basic, intermediate and advanced building blocks to meet the needs of any rider from beginner to experienced. The Smart Cycling curriculum is designed to develop confidence and competence of a bicycle rider. Students will learn about choosing a bicycle, basic parts of a bike, essential equipment, as well as how to safely and comfortably ride your bike in various traffic conditions, terrain and climates.
Typically a Smart Cycling course includes four hours of classroom instruction, which can also be done on-line and five hours of on-bike instruction. Locate a class near you through our Connect Locally map. All Smart Cycling classes are taught by a League Cycling Instructor (LCI). Visit the League Store to order Smart Cycling manuals, bike education videos, Quick Guides and other valuable resources to make you a smart cyclist!
League Cycling Instructor Course
WHAT’S A LEAGUE CYCLING INSTRUCTOR?
League Cycling Instructors (LCIs) are ambassadors for better biking through education. After earning certification through a 3-day, League Coach-led seminar, LCIs teach Smart Cycling classes to children as well as adults. Their goal is to help people feel more secure about getting on a bike, to create a mindset that bikes are treated as a vehicle, and to ensure that people on bikes know how to ride safely and legally.
STEPS TO BECOMING A LEAGUE CYCLING INSTRUCTOR:
1. Successfully pass the Smart Cycling Complete class (Traffic Skills 101) with a 85% or better.
- Check the League's Connect Locally map for classes in your area.
- If you cannot locate a class, contact your local advocacy organization or club to see when they will be hosting their next class.
- Or try contacting a local LCI (also listed on the map) to see if they can offer you a class.
- Remember the Complete class consists of classroom instruction and on-bike handling skills. Students will be tested.
- Students may substitute the classroom instruction portion with the online course at bikeed.org. The on-bike portion must be completed with a current LCI.
2. Register for a LCI Seminar
- Check out the seminar schedule to find a seminar near you.
- This is a 3-day seminar and will require about 3 hours of preparation prior to the course
- Registration rates increase 4 weeks prior to the class start date. Registration closes 3 weeks from the class start date.
3. Attend all 3 days of the seminar
- This is an intense 3 days learning about how to teach the Smart Cycling curriculum
- All candidates must attend the entire seminar
- Registration does not guarantee certification, but everyone comes away with increased knowledge of bicycle safety instruction and will eventually be certified if you put in the effort and time.
THE LCI SEMINAR
The LCI training seminar focuses on teaching and demonstration techniques used with future students both on the road and in the classroom. The seminar emphasis is on how to teach bicycle safety and skills so as to provide increased comfort and confidence for new and returning bicyclists and youth. The seminar does not emphasize the content or specific details of the cycling course curricula. It is primarily about teaching, and each candidate will have opportunities during the seminar to practice facilitating parts of the Smart Cycling curriculum, both in the classroom and in the parking lot. The seminar is normally one evening and two full days. Generally, 1/3 of the time is on-bike, so students should be prepared to ride. Click here to find a seminar near you.
The registration fee is $500 (effective April 2020) and includes the seminar materials. Download the LCI Seminar Description - great for submitting to an employer or for a grant.
For more information, visit bikeleague.org/content/become-instructor.
Biking Advisory Committee
Kent State University's Biking Advisory Committee meets monthly to work to improve biking on campus. If you are interested in joining the committee, please email Chris Lukas, Assistant Director, Outdoor Adventure at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Biking Club
Are you a two-wheeled maniac? Do you enjoy a life behind bars and going out on any bicycling adventures? Then join the Kent State Cycling Club today! We welcome road and mountain bikers of any skill level, from first starting out to hardcore adventure riders. We have not set meeting times, so people can come and go as they please. We also do occasional bike trips from indoor mountain biking to overnight camping trips. We welcome anyone and everyone so we hope to see you on the trails!
- Other Fun Biking Stuff
Local Bike Shops
There are two local bike shops in the areas: Kent Cycle and Marty's. See below for information for each shop.
- (330) 677-0600
- Sales, Service, and Special Events
Marty's Bike Shop
- Sales and Service
- Sales, Service, and Special Events