Documentation Guidelines

How can I provide documentation of my disability?

Student Accessibility Services (SAS) provides support services for students with documented disabilities. SAS utilizes an interactive, case-by-case approach when determining eligibility for services and reasonable accommodations. Students requesting accommodations from SAS may be required to provide documentation regarding their specific disability. 

There are multiple ways for students to provide their documentation to SAS, which can include:

  • A completed Disability Verification Form (PDF) completed by a licensed professional and/or properly credentialed professional (e.g. medical doctor, psychiatrist, counselor, etc.).
  • A letter written by the student’s healthcare professional that should include:
  1. Diagnostic statement identifying the disability and date of diagnosis
  2. Description of the diagnostic methodology used to identify the specific disability
  3. Description of the student’s current functional limitations in relation to academic performance
  4. Description of the expected progression and/or stability of the disability
  5. Recommendations for accommodations
  • A comprehensive diagnostic report (e.g. MFE or ETR). Where appropriate, summary and data from specific test results should be attached.  A learning disability assessment should include (a) a measure of cognitive aptitude (preferably normed for adults) and (b) a measure of achievement in reading, math and/or written language. Data should be based on age norms and reported as standard scores and percentiles. Please note, an Individual Education Plan (IEP), a 504 Plan, or a Summary of Performance, while helpful in establishing a record of supported accommodations, may not be enough in and of themselves to establish the presence of a disability at the postsecondary level.