The Fashion School at Kent State University
The Shannon Rodgers and Jerry Silverman School of Fashion Design and Merchandising at Kent State University offers Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Fine Arts degree programs and is consistently rated among the best fashion schools in the nation and worldwide.
The Summer Fashion School Academy
The academy is a one-week program that introduces high school students to key areas in fashion design and merchandising. The Fashion School Academy will allow creative, motivated teens to explore their passion for fashion in a pre-college, summer residence program. Our mission is to inspire creative and resourceful fashion leaders.
Academy registration is currently closed. Those currently on the wait list will be contacted as slots become available. We thank you for your interest in the Summer Fashion School Academy!
The Summer Fashion School Academy is for students who:
- have completed their sophomore year of high school
- are 16 to 18 years of age
- are passionate about fashion
- are interested in exploring careers in the $4 billion fashion industry
The Summer Fashion School Academy is a one-week program that offers a carefully curated series of lessons and activities that approach fashion from multiple angles, examining both the design and business aspects. The program is every bit as fun as it is enriching. During the course of the week, students will work individually and in teams to complete a variety of creative projects.
In five days packed with creative exploration, students will:
- Create a three-dimensional design, from initial idea to developed concept to finished garment;
- Use the digitally equipped TechStyleLAB to design an accessory;
- Explore the foundations of fashion design;
- Learn about fashion’s history and the role fashion plays in our society;
- Meet other students who share their passion for fashion;
- Have access to the resources and instructors of a world-class fashion institution; and
- Produce a cumulative fashion show and celebration to end the week.
The Summer Fashion School Academy will be a unique opportunity for teens interested in fashion careers to explore the underlying mechanisms and processes of the fashion world. Furthermore, the academy offers students a true preview of the college experience, preparing teens for the expectations, rigors and opportunities of college life.
- June 19-25, 2016
- Registration begins March 13, 2016
- Final payments and all required forms are due May 21, 2016
- $1,500 ($150 due at registration, remaining $1,350 due on May 21)
- All-inclusive — includes six nights in a Kent State residence hall, all meals, supplies and materials.
Housing Information and Details
All students will stay in Kent State University housing (double occupancy) in residence halls on campus. Counselors reside in the residence halls to supervise at all times. Roommate requests can be noted on the application and we will do our best to accommodate requests.
What to Pack
Sheets, light blanket, pillows and regular-sized towels are provided, although we highly recommend bringing personal blankets and pillows. Meals will be provided; however, if you wish to bring additional snacks or money, please plan accordingly.
Are Students Left Alone?
- All activities are monitored by faculty in the classroom or by the academy team, which consists of the academy coordinator and counselors during non-class time.
- All daytime activities are group activities, and students are not left alone except during curfew.
- The academy team makes every effort to establish a safe and secure environment and asks that students do their part as well, following house safety rules while here.
- There is a strict, zero-tolerance policy regarding smoking and the use of illicit substances. The academy life team does its best to ensure these rules are followed and will dismiss any student who is found to be breaking these rules.
Information for Applying
Registration begins March 13, 2016. Space within the academy is limited to 20 participants, and is available on a first-come, first-served basis based on online payment of registration fee. Once the $150 registration fee payment has been confirmed, you will be sent information regarding additional forms.
Students will be notified of their acceptance once applications have been processed. Upon acceptance, the remaining balance of academy tuition and all necessary forms must be received by May 21, 2016 in order to secure a student’s place. Late payments may result in the loss of a student’s spot.
In order to be considered for financial assistance and scholarship awards, students must also fill out the regular academy application and indicate that they plan to apply for financial assistance. Parents/guardians and students must fill out the financial assistance application and mail in both completed forms together.
- Academy Coordinator: Marji Wachowiak, 330-672-0194, email@example.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.kent.edu/fashion/academy
The Summer Fashion School Academy
The Shannon Rodgers and Jerry Silverman School of Fashion Design and Merchandising
P.O. Box 5190
Kent, OH 44242-0001
515 Hilltop Dr.
Kent State University
Kent, OH 44242-0001
Cancellation and Refund Policy
If a student cancels, $50 of the registration fee is nonrefundable. The entire $150 registration is nonrefundable after June 12, 2016.