Because global linkages are important to a fashion student's education, the Fashion School offers multiple opportunities for our students to be involved in international programs. Study tours to Europe and Asia are offered on a regular basis. Beginning with the freshmen cohort of 2016-17, an approved study-away experience is required for all fashion students prior to graduation.
The Fashion School's NYC Studio
Located in the NYC Fashion District, the NYC Studio provides full-semester academic programs for Kent State fashion students in the Fall, Spring, or Summer terms. Guest students, studying fashion at their home school, may also attend the program during Summer Session.
"My experience in New York has been the greatest thing I've done in my life so far. I've learned so much not only in school, but just about being in the city. All the mentors we had were wonderful and couldn't ask for better directors! I feel this experience has prepared me for my future career in NYC! Thank you."
—Kayla Shaw, Kent State University
Kent State University in Florence
- Fall and spring semester classes are offered by the Fashion School in Florence each year.
- A study tour to other European fashion capitals, such as Paris and London, is included.
- Junior-level design studio classes and junior-/senior-level merchandising classes are offered. Preliminary class offerings are posted the year prior to the experience.
- The cost of this experience includes tuition, housing arrangements and study tours. The actual cost is posted annually.
- For more information about the Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 program, please download the preliminary program handout. You may also contact the Study Away Coordinator at FDM-StudyAway@kent.edu, or make an appointment with your advisor.
Kent State Fashion School/Paris American Academy Program
During the summer, fashion design and merchandising students may earn six (6) Kent State credits while taking approved Fashion School courses at the Paris American Academy (PAA), in Paris, France. The month-long program, held in July, includes field trips, on-site experiences, hands-on workshops, lectures, and activities designed to expand an understanding of fashion. The PAA strongly believes in promoting international education as essential to "future global co-operation and understanding."
2017 Program Dates
(These are tentative dates.)
Design and merchandising majors of sophomore, junior or senior academic standing are eligible to apply for the Summer 2016 KSU PAA Program. Participants must have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA, upon commitment to the program.
Course Offerings and Requirements
Program provides 6 credits for FDM Electives or Support Core Electives for FD. Learning experiences include:
Fashion Merchandising and Communications Specialization:
- European Fashion Marketing, FDM 35902 (3 credits)
- European Fashion Marketing Seminar, FDM 35903 (3 credits)
Fashion Design majors choose from one of two Specializations: Design Process OR Couture Techniques.
Courses for both Specializations include:
- European Fashion Design Seminar, FDM 35905 (3 credits)
- European Fashion Design, FDM 35904 (3 credits)
- $2,736 Estimated Tuition (Ohio-Resident), $4908 Estimated Tuition (Non-Ohio Resident)
- $1,300 Program Fee
Located within 1 mile of the school, in the Latin Quarter. Housing is arranged by the PAA. Students pay housing costs directly to the PAA. Housing options include:
- Shared, private furnished apartment: $2,100
- Shared, three star hotel twin room: $2,600
- Single, three star hotel single room: $4,800
You may also visit the Paris American Academy website, in reference to the summer program offerings, at http://parisamericanacademy.fr.
How to Enroll
Deadline to secure enrollment is February 1, 2017. Please download the program flyer for instructions and further program details.
Students from other colleges and universities must be enrolled at KSU as a guest student. Guest students should consult their academic advisor from their home institution to determine how this experience will count toward their degree.
Guest students must also complete and submit the Transient Admission Application form (including $10 application fee) to apply for Guest Student Status. Guest students will receive an official letter from Kent State University verifying admittance to Kent State. This letter also includes information on setting up your Kent State student account.
Through the generous support of the Bob Broadbent International Scholarship Fund, The Fashion School is pleased to offer one (1) $3,000, merit-based scholarship to apply towards the Paris American Academy (PAA)/Fashion School July program. Complete the Fashion School Scholarship Application to apply for the PAA scholarship.
Exchange Program with Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Four junior/senior students chosen annually to exchange between the two universities
- The students register at their home university at the regular tuition.
- Students from KSU chosen for this experience also receive a scholarship for financial support of items such as airfare.
- Housing arrangements are made by both universities but must be paid for by the student living there.
- Ask your adviser for more information if you are interested.
- Download the application form for the Spring 2018 semester in Hong Kong. Print this form and bring it to the Fashion School by 5 p.m. on Monday, April 3, 2017.
- You may also view a flyer about the Hong Kong semester.
Visit the Hong Kong Polytechnic University website to learn more about PolyU programs, research and events.