Need Financial Assistance?
Career Exploration and Development and United Christian Ministries have made extra funding available for students wishing to participate in an Alternative Break experience. The number of awards is limited and will be available based on the deadlines and each funding source's specific criteria listed below. Alternative Breaks applicants can apply for this financial assistance by clicking this link.
Financial Assistance Application Deadlines
Applications for financial assistance must be submitted by the following deadlines for priority consideration.
- Alternative Fall Break: Applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 20th, 2019.
- Alternative Winter Break: Applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, November 29th, 2019.
- Alternative Spring Break: Applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, January 24th, 2020.
Career Exploration and Development Financial Assistance Criteria:
- Demonstrate financial need, based on EFC and FAFSA
- Participate in a 2019-2020 Alternative Break experience
- Undergraduate, Kent Campus students only
Students may receive one award per term. If you have questions, contact Amanda Woodyard, Director, Community Engaged Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
United Christian Ministries (UCM) Financial Assistance Criteria:
This Alternative Breaks scholarship is open to all registered underrepresented students at Kent State who:
- Identify as a racial or ethnic minority (includes Latinx/Hispanic, Black/African American, Asian, Native American, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, and those people of two or more races), OR
- Identify with the LGBTQ+ community, OR
- Demonstrate critical financial need
A few other guidelines regarding the United Christian Ministries scholarship include:
- Scholarship recipients must register for their trip and pay the initial deposit before applying
- Successful applicants will commit to working the UCM Fundraising Dinner on Friday, October 18th or a Friday in March (TBD) OR by completing 10 hours of UCM service projects
- Scholarship recipients will write a letter of gratitude to UCM's financial sponsors prior to their trip
- Scholarship recipients will agree to send UCM a 2 page photo journal/summary following the service trip
- Priority consideration will be given to applicants who have never received a UCM scholarship