Coronavirus FAQs - Student FAQs

Student FAQs Related to Reopening

Will summer classes be remote or in-person?

Summer I and Summer II will continue through remote instruction. A few courses, as approved by the Office of the Provost, will be delivered in person in Summer III, however most Summer III courses will be delivered remotely.

Will the academic calendar change?

We will eliminate Fall Break and move to fully remote instruction for the two remaining weeks in the semester after Thanksgiving. This will reduce the amount of travel to and from campuses, which reduces the potential spread of the virus.

Other fall 2020 academic calendar changes are under study. If at any time during the semester the pandemic worsens, we will be prepared to move all instruction to remote learning.

Aug. 27-Dec. 20: Fall semester classes in session. In-person and remote instruction through Friday, Nov. 20.

  • Fall Break will be eliminated.
  • No classes will be held Monday, Nov. 23, through Friday, Nov. 27.
  • Classes will resume on Monday, Nov. 30, and will be held via remote instruction only.
When will residence halls open?

We plan to resume residential living in August. There will be a staggered return of students to residence halls in Phase 3 of reopening between Aug. 17-26. More information on move-in procedures will be forthcoming from Residence Services.

Will fall classes be remote or in person?

Although we will be together in person, there will be notable differences during the next school year. Students will likely enroll in a combination of face-to-face and remotely taught courses.

We understand how important it is that decisions be made as soon as possible regarding which specific classes will be delivered in person or remotely. Virtually every part of the university is working diligently to identify feasible academic solutions given the constraints driven by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Will students receive any personal protective equipment (PPE)?

We plan to provide two reusable cloth masks for every student and employee.

Will student workers resume jobs on campus?

Select student workers will be on campus after June 8. Those who may be returning to campus will be contacted by their supervisor.

Will there be any additional mental health services for students?

We recognize the importance of student mental health and will continue to enhance student mental health services this upcoming academic year. At any time, students may access mental health support services through our Step Up and Speak Out initiative.

General Student FAQs

How should I prepare for safe travel?

As the pandemic progresses, how can I plan for safe travel? 

Travel is now allowed but advised against. The self-quarantine after travel request lifted, but still recommended for anyone with symptoms.
In addition, this is the current CDC guidance the CDC recommends you stay home as much as possible, especially if your trip is not essential, and practice physical distancing especially if you are at higher risk of severe illness. Don’t travel if you are sick or travel with someone who is sick. 

State of Ohio Guidance  CDC Guidance

How do I prepare for a safe Spring Break?

Spring break is usually the time when college students travel to beaches in Florida and other locales throughout the United States. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has some questions to consider before you set out on a journey during this coronavirus pandemic.

Should I travel within the U.S.?

CDC does not generally issue advisories or restrictions for travel within the United States. However, cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) have been reported in many states, and some areas are experiencing community spread of the disease. Crowded travel settings, like airports, may increase chances of getting COVID-19, if there are other travelers with coronavirus infection. There are several things you should consider when deciding whether it is safe for you to travel.

Is COVID-19 spreading in the area where you’re going?

If COVID-19 is spreading at your destination, but not where you live, you may be more likely to get infected if you travel there than if you stay home. If you have questions about your destination, you should check your destination’s local health department website for more information.

Will you or your travel companion(s) be in close contact with others during your trip?

Your risk of exposure to respiratory viruses like coronavirus may increase in crowded settings, particularly closed-in settings with little air circulation. This may include settings such as conferences, public events (like concerts and sporting events), religious gatherings, public spaces (like movie theatres and shopping malls), and public transportation (like buses, metro, trains).

Are you or your travel companion(s) more likely to get severe illness if you get COVID-19?

People at higher risk for severe disease are older adults and people of any age with serious chronic medical conditions (such as heart disease, lung disease, or diabetes). CDC recommends that travelers at higher risk for COVID-19 complications avoid all cruise travel and nonessential air travel.

Do you live with someone who is older or has a serious, chronic medical condition?

If you get sick with COVID-19 upon your return from travel, your household contacts may be at risk of infection. Household contacts who are older adults or persons of any age with severe chronic medical conditions are at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19.

Is COVID-19 spreading where I live when I return from travel?

Consider the risk of passing COVID-19 to others during travel, particularly if you will be in close contact with people who are older adults or have severe chronic health condition. These people are at higher risk of getting very sick. If your symptoms are mild or you don’t have a fever, you may not realize you are infectious.

Depending on your unique circumstances, you may choose to delay or cancel your plans. If you do decide to travel, be sure to take steps to help prevent getting and spreading COVID-19 and other respiratory diseases during travel. For the most up-to-date COVID-19 travel information, visit CDC COVID-19 Travel page.

Content source: National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), Division of Viral Diseases

Are refunds being issued for residence halls, dining and parking?

Who will be eligible for a refund for on-campus housing, dining and parking?

  • On-campus Housing: All students who completed the check-out procedure by March 30, 2020 at 5 p.m. will be eligible for a refund.
  • Dining: Dining plans feature meal swipes and declining balance dollars. All students with a meal swipes feature will be eligible to receive a refund.
  • Parking: All students who purchased a parking permit for the Spring 2020 semester will be eligible to receive a prorated refund.

How much should I expect my refund to be?

The university will be issuing refunds for housing, dining and parking for the Spring 2020 semester. The refunds will be calculated as follows:

  • On-campus Housing: The amount of the refund varies depending on your room type and cohort. All students that completed the housing check-out procedure by March 30 at 5 p.m. will be eligible to receive a refund. The refund is calculated based on the daily rate for the days remaining on the contract after March 21, 2020.
  • Dining: Student meal plans feature meal swipes as well as declining balance dollars. Students will be given a refund for the value of the unused meal swipes as of March 21, 2020. The refund is calculated based on the services days remaining for AYCTE facilities. Consistent with past practice, declining balance dollars will rollover to the next semester. Students that have applied for graduation will receive a refund for their remaining declining balance dollars.
  • Parking: The amount of the refund for student parking permits will be based on the number of days in the semester after March 30, 2020.

Please note that if scholarship funding was awarded for room and board it will be adjusted consistent with the pro-rated cost of the room and board

How will my refund be processed?

Your refund will post to your Student Account prior to April 30, 2020. If your student account has an outstanding balance, your refund will be reduced by this amount. Student account credit balances will be issued as a refund through the normal refund process. Please visit the One Stop for Student Services website for more information about student refunds. Access additional information about student refunds.

Will commuter meal plans be refunded?

Yes, for the daily value of meal swipes. The unused declining balance dollars will rollover to the next semester.

Can students get their declining meal plan balance refunded back to them instead of having them rollover?

Declining balance will only be refunded to graduating seniors and graduate students. The normal practice is for the remaining balance to rollover to the next semester

I will be attending/transferring to another institution in the fall. How do I get my declining meal plan balance refunded back to me?

Students who will not be attending Kent State in the fall can apply for a refund of their declining balance by completing the “Petition for Food Contract Release.”

I will be doing an internship in the fall. How do I get my declining meal plan balance refunded back to me?

Students that are completing internships can apply for a refund of their declining balance by completing the “Petition for Food Contract Release.” 

All petitions are granted at the sole discretion of University Dining Services and the Division of Student Affairs.

I will be transferring to one of Kent State’s Regional Campus. Can I use my declining meal plan balance at the Regional Campuses?

Declining balance can be used at all Regional Campuses except the Geauga Campus.

Can Kent State hold my housing/meal plan credit for future terms?

All refunds as a result of housing, dining and parking credits will be issued directly to students. Students are encouraged to save those refunds to pay against their future term

I am an international student who has already gone back home. How will I get my student refund issued to me?

Students need to make a refund preference using a domestic bank for student refunds. Refunds can then be wired from your domestic bank to your non-domestic bank account. 

What if I have questions about Residence Services?

Are the residence halls open?

The residence halls closed on March 20, 2020 at 5 pm.

Can I still access my hall/room?

The residence halls closed on March 20, 2020 at 5 p.m. Only students who made plans with Residence Services can access their hall/room. If you did not make plans by March 30, 2020, Residence Services assumes your room is vacant and will dispose of remaining belongings in the room. If you have questions or concerns, you must contact immediately to inquire about your individual situation.

What do I do if I am locked out of my room?

The residence halls are now closed. If you are approved to stay and are locked out of your room, you can use the CBORD Mobile ID app to unlock your room door while on campus. Information on how to install and access the app can be found here: If installing the app is not possible, call (330) 672-3600 for assistance.

Will I receive a refund or discount on my housing?

If you officially checked out of your residence hall room by March 30, 2020 at 5 p.m., you are eligible for a refund. Room rates will be prorated using a daily rate starting with March 21, 2020 through the contract end date. Each student’s daily rate is unique by cohort, room type, and amount paid. Residence hall refunds are in progress but will not be complete until April 30, 2020. Please watch your student account. If you have questions after your housing refund is applied, please contact Kent State’s One Stop for Student Services at 330-672-6000.

Does the date I checkout affect my refund?

If you officially checked out of your residence hall room by March 30, 2020 by 5 p.m. you are eligible for a refund.

How do I checkout of my room?

Once all of your belongings are removed from your room, please click here to complete your checkout. This will act as your official checkout from the residence halls. This checkout link must be completed by March 30, 2020 at 5 p.m. to be eligible for a refund.

Can someone pick up my belongings for me?

Yes, we will allow arrangements for this if we have written consent from all remaining occupants of the room. Email for information about the process. Once consent is confirmed, instructions will be given.

Are the Area Desks open?

The Quad Desk located in Stopher Hall is open Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. The Quad Desk can be reached at 330-672-3600.

What about my mail and packages?

All mail and packages received by the Area Desks have been returned to sender or forwarded to your home. Students who are still living on-campus, can pickup their mail and packages at the Quad Desk.

Can my package(s) be sent home?

It depends. Items shipped through the post office can be forwarded. Packages that are shipped FedEx, DHL, UPS, and most Amazon packages are not able to be forwarded. We suggest checking your online tracking or with the company you ordered from to see if you can have the shipping information updated. If a package from one of these companies arrives to University Mail Services and they are not able to forward it, they will return it to sender. If you have questions, please contact Mail Services at 330-672-2164.

Are the dining halls open?

Dining information and can be found on the University Dining Services page. 

Is Sibs and Kids Weekend still happening? What about my t-shirt order?

Sibs and Kids Weekend is cancelled. T-shirt monies will be refunded. Please email if you have questions regarding your refund.

What if I have questions about Dining Services?

Which dining locations are open?

  • Starting March 30 through May 8, Prentice Cafe and Munchies Market will be open Monday – Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 4 to 6 p.m.
  • Munchies Market Store section will also be open Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
  • All other dining locations will be closed. 

Will dining hall locations be open during Spring Break?

There will be no dining locations open during the week of Spring Break (March 21 – March 29).

Will my meal plan work during the campus closure?

Yes, your meal plan will still work at open dining locations.

How do I contact Dining if I have questions?

For additional questions regarding to University Dining, please call 330-672-2541 or email

How do I pick up my paycheck if I work for University Dining Services?

Paychecks can be picked up as they traditionally are by visiting room 203 in Tri-Towers.

What if I have questions about Transportation Services & Parking?

Since the university is closed, are students allowed to park their cars on campus?

Students with a valid permit may park in their assigned lot or in any “C-commuter” lot through the rest of the semester.

If you have any questions, please email

What bus services will be available on campus?

Beginning Monday, March 30, Kent State University campus bus service will be limited to the following bus route:

  • 57 Stadium Loop Route

Will PARTA still be running on campus for my student to get into town?

PARTA hours, routes and updates can be found at their website. For more information about campus or county routes, contact PARTA communications and public advocacy advisor Denise Baba at 330-678-7745 or email

    What if I have questions about University Health Services?

    Psychological Services

    • Hours:
      • Call the main desk 330-672-2487, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
      • No face-to-face counseling
    • Psychological Services will provide:
      • Telepsychology services
        • Counseling services via phone and/or video conferencing when deemed appropriate to active clients.
      • Consultation and Crisis Intervention
        • As needed to Kent State students; however, new clients who are not part of Psychological Services’ active caseload will not have ongoing telepsychology services.
    • Psychological Services is not taking new clients - new clients will be referred to Coleman and other area agencies.

    Medical Services (includes Pharmacy)

    • Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    • Call: 330-672-2322 OR THE 24 HOUR NURSE LINE: 330-672-2326
    • No in person services
    • Telemedicine Visits
    • Prescription Refills
    • Nurse Triage
    • Answer COVID-19 questions
    • After Hours: 24-hour nurse line: 330-672-2326

    Mental Health and Counseling Services

    Ashtabula Campus

    24-hour hotline: 440-964-4288

    Johanna Slivinske, MSW, LISW-S
    Counseling Specialist
    Counseling Services
    L 207, 2nd floor of the Library

    College of Podiatric Medicine (Cleveland)

    24-hour hotline: 216-707-8022

    Theresa Novak, M.Ed., LPCC-S
    Clinical Counselor
    Counseling & Wellness Services
    4th Floor

    Salem Campus

    24-hour hotline: 330-382-7444

    Kristy Martell, M.S.Ed, LPCC-S
    Counseling Specialist
    Counseling & Wellness Services
    Faculty Offices, 104 B – Salem

    East Liverpool Campus

    24-hour hotline: 330-382-7444

    Brenda McIntosh, M.Ed., LPCC
    Counseling Specialist
    Counseling & Wellness Services
    212 G

    Geauga Campus

    24-hour hotline: 440-834-3766

    Valerie Rutherford, MSW, LISW-S
    Counseling Specialist
    Counseling Services
    Library Office 120C

    Twinsburg Academic Center (Twinsburg)

    24-hour hotline: 440-834-3766

    Sue Mark-Sracic, M.Ed., LPCC, LSW
    102P Student Services Department

    Kent Campus

    24-hour hotline: 330-672-2326

    Dr. Pamela Farer-Singleton, Ph.D.
    Chief Psychologist
    Psychological Services
    2nd Floor of the DeWeese Health Center

    Dr. Jason Miller, Ph.D., LPCC-S
    Clinical Director
    The Counseling Center
    325 White Hall

    Dr. Alanna Updegraff, Ph.D.
    Psychological Clinic
    Rm 176 Kent Hall

    Dr. John Gunstad, Ph. D.
    Department of Athletics & Psychology Professor

    Stark Campus

    24-hour hotline: 330-244-5188

    Emily Ribnik, M.Ed., LPCC-S
    Clinical Mental Health Counselor
    Counseling Services
    Lower Level – Campus Center

    Kelsey Kalgreen, M.A., LPCC-S
    Clinical Mental Health Counselor

    Trumbull Campus

    24-hour hotline: 330-675-7677

    Barb Ozimek, M.A., LPCC-S
    Counseling Specialist
    Counseling Services
    131 B Student Services Building

    Tuscarawas Campus

    24-hour hotline: 330-308-6414

    Jennifer Benline with Personal & Family Counseling Services
    106B Science & Advanced Technology Building

    Laurie Donley
    Director, Enrollment Management & Student Services
    *For assistance, referrals or student concerns

    How will student employees be affected?

    Employment for all students employed during Spring 2020 must end no later than May 9, 2020.

    Summer 2020 student employment processing opened on Wednesday, April 22, 2020. Summer student employment requests must be for essential and critical work and only students who will have an adequate workload should be hired.

    The following procedures for timekeeping will be followed:

    1. If a student is performing work on-campus (i.e. grounds crew; facilities and maintenance), the student should use Empower to clock in and out for each work session.
    2. If a student is working remotely, the student should record the date, start time,and end time for each work session and submit it to their supervisor via email at the end of the work week. Using Empower, supervisors should enter the student’s punch in and punch out for each day worked and note once in the comment section: “Student is remote”.
    What if I have questions about the FLASHcard Office?

    How do I replace my lost card during university closure?

    Please email On-campus residents will have their card delivered in one business day. We will be responding to emails Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

    What are the Flashcard Office’s hours during university closure?

    The office is currently closed. If you would like to contact us, please email We will be responding to emails Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

    What do I do if my card is not working during university closure?

    Please email and request a replacement. On-campus residents will have their card delivered in one business day. We will be responding to emails Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

    How will I receive my replacement card during university closure?

    On-campus residents will have their card delivered in one business day.

    How can I deposit funds during university closure?

    Please visit, then select ADD CASH NOW, log in or use parent/guardian deposit link, and enter credit card information for deposit. Cash deposit (min $1.00) can be completed at the library. If you have any questions, please email

    How long until my replacement card works during university closure?

    Replacement card should be active for food immediately, tap and door access may take between 15 minutes – 2 hours after initial swipe. If you have any questions, please email

    Where can I use my FLASHcash funds during university closure?

    On campus, it will be limited to Eastway Center. Off campus will not be limited. For further information, please visit to see a list of available merchants.

    What if I have questions about Recreational Services?

    When will Recreational Services facilities be closed?

    All Recreational Services facilities are closed from Tuesday, March 10, at 5 p.m. until the end of spring semester. This closure includes the Beverly J. Warren Student Recreation & Wellness Center and the KSU Ice Arena.

    Will I get a refund for my membership and/or parking permit?

    You will not be charged for your membership during the closure period. Recreational Services will process all refunds, prorations, and adjustments to memberships, including payroll deductions, auto-debits, and other payment types.

    Can I get my items or belongings out of my locker?

    Members should email to coordinate a mutually acceptable time to retrieve personal items from their locker.

    What happens to my rental/facility reservation?

    All rentals and facility reservations during the scheduled closure are canceled. The Recreational Services staff will contact you to reschedule or process a refund.

    Will my program be rescheduled?

    All attempts will be made to reschedule activities and programs as the university schedule permits. Please contact the program coordinators listed below for additional information.

    Will program refunds be offered?

    Program refunds will be considered on a case by case basis. You should contact the specific program area coordinator for additional information.

    As a SilverSneaker member, can I attend another facility?

    SilverSneaker members can find other participating locations on their website at

    Whom should I contact for additional information?

    Aquatics - Learn to Swim: David Taylor, PEAK Summer Camp: Josh Dietrich, Club Sports: Greg Bailey, Membership: Nick Barber, Ice Arena: Bill Switaj, Adventure Center: Chris Lukas, Intramural Sports: Josh Dietrich, Fitness and Group X: Beth Michel, Operations & Events: Chris Baker,

    What if I have questions about the Bookstore?

    Will the bookstore be open?

    The Bookstore will not be open given the current limited access to students to the Kent Student Center.

    Will there be services available online?

    Online orders will not be fulfilled until the bookstore reopens.

    How do we handle textbook adoptions?

    Textbook Adoptions will continue via the AIP link with the same April 1 deadline.

    How can we contact you for additional information or questions?

    Please email us at

    When can I pick up my graduation materials? Will it still be available?

    Due to closing we will not be able to provide cap and gown services until we return. We are responding to all email requests sent to daily.

    What if I have questions about the Flash Tech Center?

    Will the Flash Tech Center be open?

    • Flash Tech Center will remain closed, in line with the Kent Student Center.

    • A list of Apple products can be found on our website: Flash Tech Center does carry all the latest Apple products, but they may not be listed on our website yet. The Flash Technology Center has Low Education Pricing on Apple computers, iPads and Apple pencils.

    • Orders can be submitted by email at , please provide product numbers where available.

    • Orders can also be taken over the phone by calling 330-672-1588 between the hours of 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Please provide product numbers where available.

    • If you do not see what you are looking for, call for stock availability at 330-672-1588.

    • Your order can be picked up right behind the Kent Student Center at the University Bookstore loading dock.

    What do international students need to know?


    All students on an F or J status who are studying in the U.S. will remain in status. The transition to remote class instruction will not affect your immigration status for this semester -- even if you travel home. If you return home, please notify ISSS and request a travel signature through the Travel Plans 2020 Form. All travel signatures are valid for 1 year unless you are currently on Optional Practical Training (OPT). In that case your travel signature is valid for 6 months. With the suspension of in-person services in International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), we have provided mailing alternatives to collecting I-20s or DS-2019s with a travel signature via the Travel Plans 2020 Form.

    Graduating Students

    If you plan to leave and do not plan to apply for OPT, you can contact the Registrar's Office to have your diploma mailed to you in your home country. If you have questions about diplomas, their website Students who are graduating and applying for OPT, it is still not recommended to leave the U.S. as it could be a challenge to re-enter in case of a pending OPT application or if you are a May 2020 graduate intending to apply for OPT. We understand you have many questions and we assure you that we will be here to answer them. Please see the ISSS Office and Advising Hours page for more information on how to contact ISSS directly.

    Contacting ISSS & Making Phone Appointments

    The ISSS team is continuing to monitor all emails sent to and respond accordingly. If you are interested in asking questions or making an appointment, please review the ISSS Office and Advising Hours page. General information often be found on the ISSS Guides & Forms page.

    Academic FAQs

    What is the status of summer intersession and summer classes?
    • Kent State will continue with our robust summer offerings during Intersession (May 14-June 3), Summer I (June 4-July 8) and Summer II (June 4-July 29) by remote instruction (synchronous and asynchronous) only. Moreover, any other scheduled summer course that begins before July 9 will be delivered through remote instruction only.
    • For questions about summer courses, students should contact the department chair or faculty member of the course.
    • Kent State will continue to monitor the progression of COVID-19 and make a decision about Summer III (July 9-Aug. 12) and other courses that begin on July 9 or after by late May.
    • Decisions about clinicals, practica and internships will be made on an ongoing basis in consultation with chairs and directors of the academic program areas.
    What if I am completing an internship for credit?

    Students who have had their internship end early due to COVID-19 are encouraged to work with the employer/host to request that any remaining work be completed remotely.

    If it is not possible to continue the internship remotely, the experiential, on-site, component of the internship should conclude immediately; and students should contact their faculty coordinator/instructor for assistance. Your faculty coordinator/instructor can be found on your class schedule in FlashLine.

    Where do I find information regarding course withdrawal dates, pass/fail grades and re-adding a course?
    • The course withdrawal date has been extended to April 28.
    • Students who withdrew from a course between March 10 and April 1 can re-add the class by April .
    • Students can also opt to take many courses for Pass/Fail (deadline is May 18).
    • For more details please visit
    Can I submit both a Pass/Fail request and take an incomplete for the same course?

    No, you can choose one or the other, but not both.

    • If you are unsure which might be in your best interest, please reach out to your instructor and discuss an incomplete versus a Pass/Fail.
    • Please keep in mind that an incomplete adds to your workload in a subsequent semester.
      • If you choose an incomplete, your final grade will be a letter grade (A through F) and will be calculated in your GPA.
    • A Pass/Fall will not be calculated in your GPA.
    Will nursing, CATS and CPM clinicals continue?

    Effective March 13, 2020, all College of Nursing (BSN, MSN, DNP, PhD) clinicals are suspended until April 13, 2020 at which time we will re-evaluate. This includes the BSN at regionals (Stark, Trumbull, Geauga and Salem). For those of you who anticipate a May graduation, we are working to ensure that your graduation will be on time. College of Nursing Students please contact Dr. Tracey Motter (BSN Kent Campus) at 330-672-8784 or Dr. Wendy Umberger (MSN/DNP/PhD Kent Campus) at 330-672-8813. Access additional questions and answers on the College of Nursing website.

    College of Applied and Technical Studies Nursing and Allied Health Programs (ADN, Rad Tech, OTA, PTA, and RESP Therapy) clinicals are suspended until further notice.

    The College of Podiatric Medicine will continue clinical rotations, in line with all of the colleges of podiatric medicine (CPM) around the country. The continuance of clinical rotations is in compliance with the individual hospital requirements. Most institutions are limiting Podiatric Medical students from treating patients with active respiratory infections.

    I am scheduled to defend my dissertation/thesis. How do I proceed?

    Given the suspension of face-to-face instruction and mitigation efforts to break the cycle of contagion of the COVID-19 virus, thesis and dissertation defenses and pre-defenses may be held with all members of the committee and the candidate participating remotely. Students who are scheduled to defend their dissertation or thesis prior to April 13 should contact their dissertation/thesis committee chair as soon as possible. Arrangements will be made for your defense to be held remotely. For a copy of our guiding principles and guidelines, go to the Graduate Studies home page.

    What is the policy if I'm studying in New York City?

    The NYC Studio WILL be following the same schedule as shared by Main Campus in regards to remote instruction.

    Important updated NYC Studio specific information:

    • March 16-20: NYC Studio classes will resume via remote instruction, as announced on Tuesday, March 10.
    • March 23-29: Spring break will occur as scheduled.
    • March 30-End of Spring Semester: NYC Studio classes will be held via remote instruction.
    • Studio Access: You may access the Studio next Wednesday, March 18, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. to get your course materials, supplies, personal belongings, etc. All of your belongings should be removed from the Studio during this time.

    See the full email with additional details about about key cards, internships, housing and travel..

    Will my spring break or university-sponsored spring or summer semester trip be canceled?
    What is academic continuity and where do students find related resources?

    Academic continuity refers to the continuation of courses (programs, degrees). In the case of an on-campus emergency (weather, pandemic), academic continuity for classes on campus may not be able to be ensured unless other teaching modalities, including remote delivery, are considered.

    Information on remote instruction for students, including access instructions and technology resources, is at For technology issues, contact TechHelp by either submitting a support ticket or via Live Chat with support staff. You can also call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 330-672-HELP. 

    What if I have questions or technical issues with my coursework?
    • Reach out to your professor quickly if you are experiencing difficulty with technology or course content. If you have issues directly related to your coursework, contact your instructor.
    • Regularly check the Blackboard page for your course because it is the primary platform used to help you stay current in your coursework is Blackboard Learn ( Most all of the instructions and tools you will need to complete your course will be housed in Blackboard.
      • If your instructor decides to hold live videoconferencing (synchronous) class sessions, these will be held at your scheduled class time. The link to the videoconference room will be posted in Blackboard. Collaborate Ultra will generally be the software used. You should check with your Blackboard course for instructions on communication from your professor. Please remember that your course in Blackboard is a work-in-progress. You should check-in regularly to view updates. Unless otherwise instructed, Kent State email will be the preferred means of communication
      • Find information on how to use these tools.
    • Additional resources for courses delivered through remote instruction are available on the Keep on Learning website
    • If you have technical problems, contact TechHelp by either submitting a Support Ticket or get help via LiveChat with support staff. You can also call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 330-672-HELP.
    Where and how can I get academic advising?

    In line with the university’s response to COVID-19 to suspend face-to-face contact, there will be no in-person advising appointments effective March 10 through the end of spring semester. However, you will be able to be advised remotely through your college or campus advising office. Schedule an appointment with an advisor.

    Will tutoring be available?

    The Academic Success Center (ASC) is online while you’re online. Refer to the ASC website for information on scheduled tutoring online, drop-in tutoring online, the e-Tutoring service, and supplemental instruction online. Contact the ASC at or 330-672-3190 with questions. For Regional Campus tutoring services, please contact your campus for information regarding available resources.

    Is the Writing Commons open?

    The Writing Commons physical locations are closed, and the tutors are working from home.

    We offer three different kinds of online writing appointments:

    • Email
    • Text-chat
    • Video conferencing

    Schedule an online appointment


    Is Student Accessibility Services (SAS) open during this time?

    SAS is open during regular business hours: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. You can call SAS at 330-672-3391 or email However, there will be no face-to-face proctoring during the period of remote instruction, and all student meetings will be conducted by phone. Students can update or send their course accessibility letters using Access KSU using the typical process.

    Are the art studio spaces available to students during the campus closure?

    The studio spaces for all students are shared spaces, where it is impossible to abide by social distancing guidelines. This means the art studio spaces are closed and art students’ research will not be possible to take place in the College of the Arts buildings. 

    What if I am called up for active duty?