Information About Experiential Learning Experiences
Dear Kent State University Students,
We know that experiential learning experiences are a critical part of student learning. As part of Kent State’s reopening effort during the COVID-19 pandemic, there are conditions that may impact your internship, co-op, student teaching, clinical or volunteer experiences. You should work closely with your program coordinator and/or instructor of record before you commence participation in these experiences. Kent State’s Experiential Learning Information website provides the most up-to-date information regarding experiential learning. This site also includes additional guidance specifically for students.
When participating in a face-to-face experience, consider that:
- Participation has to be voluntary by the student (student has to be comfortable).
- Participation has to meet the internship/co-op/practicum requirements.
- Participation should follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (for example, social distancing), state (for example, whether there is a stay-at-home order) and Flashes Safe Seven guidelines.
The following are recommendations for navigating any changes:
- Be flexible about changes to your work environment, project scope changes and other unforeseen requests during this time while continuing to focus on the learning goals and outcomes that have been developed for your course credit.
- If possible, it is recommended that students continue their experience remotely under the direction of and in communication with your program coordinator and the organization’s current guidelines for work and attendance, as agreed upon by the employment agreement and academic course credit.
- Be aware of program and graduation requirements; begin thinking about simulated experiences and alternative work assignments that align with your learning goals, as these may be options for continuation should the employer/host need to cancel the internship.
- Maintain regular communication with your program coordinator/internship advisor/supervisor to discuss any upcoming changes or concerns, including that a fall 2020 internship, co-op or practicum experience is unable to proceed or is interrupted due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you have questions, please contact Career Exploration and Development at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-672-2360 (for career/for-credit experiences) or Community Engaged Learning at email@example.com or 330-672-7876 (for volunteer/community experiences).
Executive Director, Career Exploration and Development