Kent State of Wellness Announces Minigrant Winners
The Kent State of Wellness Steering Committee has awarded 14 minigrants totaling more than $11,000 to departments and student organizations with creative proposals to enhance the culture of health and wellness at Kent State University. The program supports Kent State President Beverly Warren’s Strategic Roadmap and Kent State’s initiative to create an environment that enhances the health and wellness of all Kent State students, faculty and staff.
The minigrant program was designed to provide opportunities for the Kent State community to propose wellness programs that meet the needs of their department or group.
“The minigrant program is the essence of President Warren’s charge to create a healthy campus,” says Jen Bryant, graduate assistant with the Kent State of Wellness program, who coordinated the minigrant program. “It will allow for a truly collaborative effort from university community members to be the change agents for health.”
More than 30 applications for up to $1,000 each were received from academic and university departments and student organizations throughout the Kent State system.
The 2016 Kent State of Wellness minigrant recipients are:
- Mindfulness Meditation for Improved Mood and Cognition - Michael Baranski, Psychological Sciences, Kent Campus
- The RAC Gets Ready for the 5K Race Day - Joy Caldwell, Nursing Technology, Kent State University at Geauga
- Walk, Run and Cycling Club - Sheryl Chatfield, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Kent Campus
- Health Is a Key to Success - Scott Dotterer, University Health Services’ Office of Health Promotion, Kent Campus
- Intuitive Eating Nutrition Education Program - Tanya Falcone, Family and Consumer Studies, Kent Campus
- Midnight Moving - Stephanie Gaskins, University Libraries, Kent Campus
- Challenging Addiction With Connection - Maureen Keating, University Health Services’ Psychological Services, Kent Campus
- De-Stress Fest: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Student Center Edition - Katie Mattise, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Student Center, Kent Campus
- Healthy Eating Campaign - Lindsey Myers, Kent State University at Ashtabula
- Employee Meditation and Mindfulness Program - Barbara Ozimek, Kent State University at Trumbull
- Treat Yourself Week - Catholic Student Association, Kent Campus
- Flash Away Your Worries! Stress-Free Zone - English Club, Kent State University at Salem
- Wellness for Jewelry Makers - Jewelry and Metals Co-Op, Kent Campus
- Consent on Campus, Consent Every Time - Students Against Sexual Assault, Kent Campus
The minigrant program was designed to encourage students, faculty and staff to innovate toward a shared vision of the healthy campus initiative and inspire action throughout the university community.
“Health and wellness belong to everyone, and we know that a one-size-fits-all approach is not effective,” says Angela DeJulius, interim director of the Kent State of Wellness program. “Building the Kent State of Wellness is a dynamic process that will continue to evolve as we all move along our own path to healthy living.”
Kent State of Wellness is the university’s strategic healthy campus initiative that addresses the following health priorities:
- Alcohol and Other Drug Use
- Mental Health
- Physical Activity
- Preventive Care
- Sexual Health
- Smoking and Tobacco Use