Dissertation Resource Center
The Division of Graduate Studies is committed to ensuring your success in engaging in authentic and original research as part of your advanced degree program. As you prepare to carry out your dissertation research, please consult the resources below that may be useful in your efforts to fulfill your doctoral degree.
ACADEMIC WRITING ACCOUNTABILITY GROUPS
The Division of Graduate Studies is helping graduate students put together small Academic Writing Accountability Groups to assist you with staying engaged with your academic writing and developing a support network during this when many graduate students are taking classes or working from home, and making progress on your writing and research goals. We will try to group students based on preferred methods of communication (Email, Zoom, Google Hangout, etc.), methodologies, and how many hours you hope to write per week. We will open up registration for Fall 2020 Academic Writing Accountability Groups in September
• Download Microsoft Office for free if you do not have it.
• Tips on setting your SMART goals (University of North Carolina).
• Setting your SMART goals template (Fillable PDF)
• Explore published dissertations via OhioLINK ETD Center.
• Talk with your faculty advisor/committee chair(s) about your department’s or college’s dissertation expectations.
• Manage your library research.
• Develop your research questions (University of Michigan) with your committee chair(s).
• Understand the basics of a literature review.
STAYING ORGANIZED (WEBSITES & APPS)
STAYING PRODUCTIVE (WEBSITES & APPS)
Books about Academic Writing
• The Writing Workshop by Barb Sarnecka (full text available free online)
• How to Write a Lot by Paul J. Silvia (APA blog)
• Ambient Café Sounds
• Café/Restaurant Noise Generator
• Cold Turkey
OBTAINING RESEARCH APPROVAL
Before doing any research, consult with your faculty advisor/principal investigator to determine what training and approval you may need from the Office of Research Compliance (ORC).
COLLECTING YOUR DATA
Conducting Interviews (with recording capabilities)
• Google Meet
• EHHS Research & Evaluation Bureau
• Google Forms
• Qualtrics (access provided as a KSU student)
• Survey Monkey
• Survey Planet
FINALIZING YOUR DISSERTATION