The Labor Relations office is part of the division of Human Resources and oversees all aspects of labor relations activities for AFSCME-represented employees at Kent State.
The Labor Relations office also oversees pre-disciplinary hearings for classified, unrepresented university employees. The goal of the office is to create and sustain a collaborative work environment for collective bargaining members, unrepresented classified employees and the professional leadership.
Additional areas of responsibility for the Labor Relations office include:
- Serve as a resource to employees, supervisors and department heads regarding labor relations policies and issues
- Administers and oversees the performance evaluation process for classified and unclassified employees
- Administer and interpret the AFSCME collective bargaining agreement, university policies, and relevant sections of the Ohio Revised Code and Ohio Administrative Code
- Plan and direct recruitment activities and employment services for represented classified staff
- Provide grievance and arbitration procedure administration for all classified employees
- Administer predisciplinary processes for all classified employees
- Assess and develop training programs for represented staff and supervisors/managers of represented staff
- Represent the university in AFSCME collective bargaining negotiations
For more information, contact Karen Watson, hearing officer and labor relations manager, at 330-672-4636 or firstname.lastname@example.org; Janine Bogden, administrative clerk, at 330-672-8526 or email@example.com.