This course provides consistent and comprehensive information across the university regarding the hiring process.
- Understand the effects of affirmative action during the hiring process
- Apply knowledge of various employment laws and regulations to make effective hiring decisions
- Complete the job search and interview process
- Complete the necessary steps and forms to move your candidates along during the hiring process
This course is intended for all faculty and staff involved in the hiring process (such as a hiring manager) or serving on a search committee.
You must score an 80% to pass the course. Certifications are valid for 2 years.
This course is open to all faculty and staff through Canvas.
Who Should Attend:
Do you have a plan when interviewing candidates? Do you have a tough time gathering information from potential employees? Most interviewers don’t know what to ask or ask the wrong questions, leading to bad hires and worse. During this workshop, learners become ‘interviewing dynamics’ and discover best practices for conducting behavioral based interviews in the workplace. Learners will create behavioral questions to give them the best chance to gather candidate information, develop a candidate evaluation strategy to achieve the best results - before, during and after the interview, and discover how to guide the interview conversation to get the answers to make the best hire.
This workshop is ideal for all Kent State employees involved in the hiring process.
Through Interview Dynamics, you will:
- Develop a candidate evaluation strategy to achieve the best results - before, during and after the interview
- Discover and practice a step-by-step interview process that eliminates commonly made mistakes
- Learn how to form proper behavioral questions that give you the best chance to gather candidate information
- Practice a four step method to form a comprehensive picture of your candidates
Who Should Attend:
What is the ADEA? Or FLSA? How about ADAAA? Does your mind spin trying to keep up with constantly changing employment laws? Can you spot or prevent sexual harassment in the workplace? What should you do if a harassment complaint is brought to your attention? This workshop examines what supervisors and managers should know to maintain a working knowledge of federal and state laws/regulations that impact employment at Kent State.
Through Employment Law and Harassment Prevention, you will gain:
- A fundamental understanding of the following laws:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
- Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended (ADAAA)
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Insight to the role a supervisor plays in preventing harassment in the workplace
This workshop is designed for managers and supervisors, but relevant for all faculty and staff.
This workshop counts as 4 hours toward your annual Beyond Compliance goal.