Muncie Public Library
Youth Services Supervisor
Part Time or Full Time
Location of organization
Position & Job Description
POSITION: YS Supervisor SUPERVISOR’S TITLE: Manager I
DEPARTMENT: Youth Services FLSA STATUS: Supervisor I (Non-exempt)
SALARY: $19.70/hour SCHEDULE: Varies, some evenings and weekends; 40 hrs/week
Coordinates and manages Youth Services collections, programs, services and employees in assigned branch.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Hires, supervises, schedules, trains, delegates, coaches, and appraises employees
- Plans, creates and implements programs, story hours and outreach activities
- Develops, promotes and maintains all YS collections
- Develops services for youth including Reader’s Advisory and Reference and Homework help, incorporating technology initiatives
- Liaison with schools and other educational organizations as directed
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
MLS, ALIS or MIS from an ALA accredited program at accredited university. A minimum of three years’ experience working with children, at least two in a library setting preferred. Must possess an Indiana Librarian Certificate 3 or higher or ability to obtain one within six months of hire date and obtain the required LEU’s and retain certification.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Customer Service: Provides prompt, attentive, and friendly customer service; represents the organization well; maintains personal accountability and ownership for providing excellent customer service; seeks and responds to feedback to improve services; shows willingness to go out of his/her way to help customers and coworkers.
- Teamwork: Cooperates and works well with co-workers and management; plans and completes job duties; helps out where needed; asks for help when needed; completes work in a timely manner.
- Communication: Communicates ideas and thoughts clearly, accurately, and respectfully; listens to others and seeks to understand others perspectives.
- Hardware, Software: Knowledgeable about hardware and software and can navigate the internet appropriately; understands and able to use portable storage devices; make people feel comfortable with technology
- Adaptability: Willingness to take on new challenges and responsibilities and lead others; open to change and variety within the workplace; works hard to implement change in areas of responsibility; recommends changes to improve processes and customer service.
- Image: Portrays a positive image of the Library; is a strong public ambassador and promotes Library programs, materials and services
- Technical: Comfortable in using computers, appropriate software and job related equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to be successful when performing the essential functions of the job.
A valid driver’s license to get to and from outreach events.
Frequently required to:
- Stand, walk and sit for long periods of time
- Use hands and fingers to handle books, AV, paper and technology
- Speak and listen to others
- See and read; must be able to distinguish words, letters and numbers appropriately
- Reach with hands and arms
- Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Lift, move or carry 30 pounds
- Push book carts weighing 75 pounds
How To Apply (link and instructions)
Potential Salary & Benefits
$19.70/hour, Public Employees Retirement Fund, health insurance