Bexley Public Library
Librarian (local history focus)
Part Time or Full Time
Location of organization
Bexley, OH (Heart of Columbus)
Position & Job Description
PURPOSE OF WORK: Under general direction, the Librarian assists patrons in identifying and locating appropriate materials using electronic, print, and other resources; trains patrons in the use of resources; maintains library collections; and prepares and conducts innovative programs designed to encourage library use, community involvement, and to support of the library’s mission
Duties and Responsibilities of Job
1. Provides outstanding internal and external customer service. Responds to patron questions and situations in accordance with library policy and in a manner to enhance the reputation of the library as a public service organization.
2. Provides reference, readers, and viewers advisory services to the public through various means including by appointment, over the phone, and through web based communications. Trains public on use of library technologies and library resources; incorporates relevant technologies into library services and programs.
3. Serves as liaison to the Bexley Historical Society and other related groups; maintains excellent working knowledge of preservation and digitization technology and techniques; oversees the digitization and preservation of local history materials, oversees and schedules volunteers to assist with the local history initiative. Considers other historical preservation strategies, such as creation of external partnerships and sources, oral history projects, etc.
4. Develops and implements responsive, innovative, relevant, and audience appropriate library programs and services that encourage library use and support the library’s mission. Participates in the development and implementation of department and library-wide strategic priorities and serves as Librarian-in-Charge as assigned.
5. Evaluates and maintain the library's collections and make recommendations for collection development based on community needs, usage levels, and relevance of materials; evaluates materials, utilizes statistical data and reports for collection maintenance, and makes withdrawals according to library guidelines.
Required Job Application Skills
1. Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited school
2. Excellent oral and written communication skills
3. Ability to deliver programs and to speak before groups
4. Excellent interpersonal skills
5. Ability to work accurately and with attention to detail
6. Ability to work independently and within a teaming environment
7. Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate judgment in handling information and records
8. Superior working knowledge of traditional and electronic resources including web sites, databases, and social media; high comfort level and familiarity with common hardware and software, including eReaders and excellent online searching skills
9. Ability to retain, follow, and explain organizational procedures, processes, policies and operations
Preferred Job Application Skills
Library experience totaling 1-2 years.
Andrea Jones, HRM
How To Apply (link and instructions)
For a full description and to apply, please visit our website
Date that Application Closes
Potential Salary & Benefits
Salary range starting at $47,476. Health, dental, vision, and other voluntary benefits offered. Long term disability and life insurance coverage paid by Library. Vacation, sick leave and birthday leave accrued each pay period.