The University of Alabama Libraries
Part Time or Full Time
Location of organization
Position & Job Description
The University of Alabama Libraries is seeking two dynamic, highly motivated individuals for the position of Metadata Librarian. Reporting to the Coordinator of Metadata in the Resource Acquisition & Discovery department and working collaboratively in a metadata team with 5 librarians, and appropriate units in the Libraries, this position supports the discovery of and access to the Libraries resources through metadata creation, analysis and enrichment. This position will play a role in improving discovery for patrons.
Duties and Responsibilities of Job
Specific duties include, but are not limited to: creating original metadata and complex metadata revision for the Libraries' digital collections, creating original metadata and complex metadata for special collections materials, performing original and copy cataloging of continuing resources and nonbook materials such as sound recordings, and performing authority work, evaluating the effectiveness of catalog data and metadata for resource discovery, participating as a consultant to digital humanities projects with the Alabama Digital Humanities Center, and keeping abreast of current issues and trends in cataloging and metadata. Candidate must also possess the ability to deal with change, ambiguity, and complex problems in an academic setting. Responsibilities of the position evolve as the library environment continues to change.
Required Job Application Skills
- Masters in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program.
- Professional experience creating metadata records and performing authority control.
- Knowledge of relevant foundational metadata and technologies including but not limited to: RDA, LCSH, MARC21, MODS, MADS, METS, Dublin Core, TGN, XML, etc.
- Experience using OCLC
- Knowledge of research metadata schemas such as DataCite, ORCID, etc.
- Knowledge of linked data models and emerging tools such as FRBR, FRAD, RDF, RDFa, and BIBFRAME, etc.
- Knowledge of digital preservation models and schemas including but not limited to: PREMIS, MIX, etc.
- Knowledge of discovery layer technology.
- Knowledge of data mining and visualization.
- Some experience with programming languages or scripting. Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with diverse constituencies.
- Comfortable with ambiguity.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including associated skills such as listening, negotiating, and adapting.
- Ability to solve problems independently or collaboratively, using sound judgment in decision making.
- Familiar with professional standards, best practices, and emerging technologies in libraries.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to adapt quickly to new standards and technologies.
- Ability to meet the requirements for tenure and promotion
- Commitment to conduct research and scholarship consistent with a tenure track faculty appointment; commitment to engage in continuing professional development.
Preferred Job Application Skills
- 1-2 years' experience in metadata creation in an academic library.
- Knowledge of curation lifecycle models.
- Experience using integrated library systems (Voyager preferred) and/or digital content management system(s) (DSpace preferred).
- Experience in analyzing and manipulating XML and other data standards.
- Data manipulation with MarcEdit, EXCEL, OpenRefine, Python, XSLT.
- Knowledge of json.
- Experience in batch loading of MARC records.
- Knowledge of EBSCO Full Text Finder.
How To Apply
Applications are accepted online only through this WEBSITE
Click Search Positions. University Libraries in Organization drop down box. Please include your application, Curriculum Vitae, and names, addresses, phone numbers, and e- mail addresses of three references, including one current supervisor.
Date that Application Closes
Potential Salary & Benefits
12 month tenure track OR non-tenure track, renewable faculty appointment at the Assistant Professor rank, depending on qualifications. Salary is $50,000- $60,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. Strong benefits including professional development support and tuition fee waiver.