Some of the duties performed by information professionals include, but are in no way limited to, the following:
- Curate collections for groups, whether local public populations, engineers building cars, or scholars in universities.
- Educate people on the availability and applicability of information resources.
- Organize information for more effective and efficient access and discovery.
- Preserve our cultural heritage.
- Present and make accessible the various collections of information.
- Build and manage information retrieval systems using user-centered design principles.
- Prepare our youth to become better scholars and citizens, and help them develop a long-standing productive relationship with information and knowledge.
- Study information needs and seeking behavior to develop better services for various groups.
- Consider the ethical and philosophical issues related to information, such as access and privacy.
- Manage and improve information environments.
- Facilitate the creation and sharing of information and knowledge with people and communities.