The Conversation Partners Program at Kent State University is a voluntary program that pairs international students with students from the United States (i.e. domestic students/American students). Once an international student and domestic student are paired, they meet once per week for one hour. During these meetings, partners share information about their culture, home country/state/city, education, and more! The meetings between Conversation Partners can take place virtually or in-person. This program is very flexible because you are free to choose how you would like to meet and when you would like to meet as long as it is for one hour each week. There will be regularly scheduled opportunities for everyone involved in this program to meet in group settings as well.
There are many benefits for both international students and domestic students in joining the Conversation Partners Program! Check out a handful of the exciting benefits students will see as a result of participating in the program listed below!
Benefits of becoming a Conversation Partner:
- Improve English language speaking abilities
- Learn about the American culture and American university culture
- Make new friends
- Share your culture/background
- Expand your worldview
- Reduce homesickness
- Adjust to life at an American university
- Discover resources, events, and ways to get involved on and off campus
- Improve language speaking abilities for a language you are learning/interested in learning
- Learn about a new culture
- Attend exciting events with a multicultural focus
- Make new friends from a different country
- Expand your worldview
- Develop multicultural competence
Expectations of Being a Conversation Partner
- The commitment is for the full academic year (Fall semester through conclusion of the Spring semester; exceptions include if you are graduating or returning to your home country in December)
- Meet with your partner (virtually or in-person) for a minimum of one (1) hour each week
- Provide feedback about your experiences in the program via periodic surveys throughout the academic year
Interested in joining? Apply Today!
If you have any further questions about the Conversation Partners program, or have any difficulties with the application forms on this website, please direct your inquiries to Ash Mierau, Interim Director of the Office of International Student Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.