John Sharp, MSSA, FHIMSS, has been Adjunct Faculty in the Health Informatics Master’s Program at Kent State University since 2012. He developed and frequently teaches Clinical Analytics I and II.
John recently retired as the Director of Thought Advisory for the Personal Connected Health Alliance, a HIMSS innovation company. Before working with HIMSS, Sharp had years of experience managing research informatics at Cleveland Clinic and at the Clinical and Translation Science Collaborative. In addition to producing white papers and blog posts on digital health, he advises startups through incubators and challenge competitions. He is the author of several book chapters and journal articles on digital health.
*The School of Information faculty are superstars in the field. Therefore, it is impossible to list all of the work they do on one page. Listed below is a small selection of John Sharp’s recent work. Further information can be viewed on his LinkedIn profile, or on SlideShare. For a complete list of publications, visit his Google Scholar profile. You can also follow John on Twitter (@JohnSharp).
HI 60411/HI 80411 Clinical Analytics I (Developed)
HI 60418/HI 80418 Clinical Analytics II (Developed)
Sharp, J. (2018). eResearch. In W. Hersh & R. E. Hoyt (Eds.), Health informatics practical guide (7th ed., pp. 397-407). Lulu.com. ISBN: 978-1387642410.
Sharp, J. & Hoyt, R. E. (2018). Mobile Technology and mHealth., In W. Hersh & R. E. Hoyt (Eds.), Health informatics practical guide (7th ed., pp. 271-281). Lulu.com. ISBN: 978-1387642410.
Navaneethan, S. D., Jolly, S. E., Schold, J. D., Arrigain, S., Nakhoul, G., Konig, V., Hyland, J., Burrucker, Y. K., Dann, P. D., Tucky, B. H., Sharp, J., & Nally, J. V. (2017). Pragmatic randomized, controlled trial of patient navigators and enhanced personal health Records in CKD. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 12(9), 1418-1427. https://doi.org/10.2215/CJN.02100217
Sharp, J., Chaney, S. C. Guinen, J., Mechael, P. (2017). Personal Connected Health: The state of the evidence and a call to action. Personal Connected Health Alliance. http://www.pchalliance.org/personal-connected-health-state-evidence-and-call-action
Makhni, S., Atreja, A., Sheon, A.,Van Winkle, B., Sharp, J., Carpenter, N. (2017). The broken health information technology innovation pipeline: a perspective from the NODE Health consortium. Digital Biomarkers, 1(1), 64-72. https://doi.org/10.1159/000479017
Co-investigator on “Cleveland ClinicChronic Kidney Disease Registry,” unrestricted Grant from Amgen to Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, to create a registry for all stages of CKD to evaluate outcomes, practice patterns and progression in a large population of kidney disease patients, awarded 2010 - 2013
Registries for Accountable Care, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Contract No. 290-2014-00004-C, awarded 2018.
- Founding board member of NODE Health (Network of Digital Evidence) (2016 - 2020)
- International Editorial Board of ICT&Health (2017 - Present)
- Member of the American Medical Informatics Association’s Clinical Research Informatics and Consumer Informatics Special Interest Groups (2013 - Present)
- Abstract reviewer for the 2012 American Medical Informatics Association Conference
- Abstract Reviewer for the HIMSS 2012 Conference
- Served on the Editorial Board of Tech Briefs for the American Association of Medical Colleges (2011, 2013)
- Served as Chair of HIMSS E-Health Special Interest Group (2003 - 2006) and as Member of the Project Management Special Interest Group (2005 - 2010)
- American Medical Informatics Association (2009 - Present)
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) (2002 - Present)
- Northeast Ohio HIMSS (2006 - Present)
- Society for Behavioral Medicine (2018 - Present)