- Develop a relationship with a faculty mentor in your major and conduct research for 8 weeks
- Receive a stipend up to $2800 to provide support during the summer research initiatives
- Reside in Honors Residence Hall during Summer Research Institute
- Present research at local and regional conferences with all expenses paid
- Participate in field trips to facilities in Northeast Ohio
- Receive academic credit for Honors courses at Kent State University
- Attend graduate preparation workshops
- Have access to computer facilities
- Participate in a graduate school tour
- Receive academic and personal counseling
How to Apply
To become a McNair Scholar, you must:
- Must have at least a 2.80 grade point average
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Must be a first generation college student who meets income guidelines OR from an ethnic group underrepresented in doctoral programs (African-American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American/Alaskan or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander)
How To Apply:
To apply, complete the McNair Scholars Program Application and the McNair Income Verification Form.
You must complete the application in one sitting. Before beginning the application please have the following information ready:
- A 500-word reflection on why you want to be a McNair Scholar, including your academic and career goals and qualifications.
- Names and email addresses for 2 recommenders. Recommenders can complete the McNair Scholars Program Recommendation Form.
- A copy of your 2019 or 2020 federal income tax return (for independent students) or your parents' 2019 or 2020 federal income tax returns (for dependent students) to complete the Income Verification Form. If you are a dependent student, please enter your parent's name and email address on the form! They will receive an email giving them access to complete the verification! If you need a paper copy of the form, please send an email to email@example.com to request one.
Applications are due Friday, February 19th.
To learn more about the McNair Scholars Program, please contact McNair Staff to schedule an informational meeting.
Final decisions for the cohort will be made in April.