Frequently Asked Questions

When should I contact Foundation Relations?
You should contact Foundation Relations if you are seeking grant funding from a foundation, family foundation or corporate foundation.

I want to seek grant funding for my project. How do I work with Foundation Relations?
Please review the Overview of Grants for a thorough process overview of how to work with both Foundation Relations and Sponsored Programs to seek grant funding.

Does Foundation Relations assist with proposals to government agencies?
No. Foundation Relations assists only with applications to foundations. For assistance with applications to government agencies, please contact the Division of Research and Sponsored Programs.

Should I notify Foundation Relations before contacting a foundation?
Yes. We strongly encourage faculty and staff to discuss their projects with Foundation Relations before contacting a foundation. In many cases, Foundation Relations holds established relationships with local and national foundations and can leverage those connections to advance your project. In addition, some foundations clearly state they will not accept phone calls or other inquiries about potential projects. As such, please contact us before contacting a foundation.

Are there foundations I should not approach?
Yes, in some instances. Kent State may already have an active grant with a foundation or may have a grant proposal in progress with another Principal Investigator. To determine if you should approach a specific foundation for your project, please contact us.

Always contact Foundation Relations before contacting any of the following organizations:

  • Burton D. Morgan Foundation
  • Cleveland Foundation
  • GAR Foundation
  • Gund Foundation
  • John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
  • Keck Foundation
  • Kresge Foundation
  • Peg's Foundation

How do I find potential funders for my project?
Several excellent resources are available for researching potential funders, including the Foundation Directory Online. For a full list of resources, visit our Resources for Grantseekers page.

Foundation Relations can assist in researching prospective funders for your project. To submit a research request, please contact our office to share an overview of your project.

Where can I obtain frequently requested university documents for my proposal, such as audited financial statements or board lists?
Foundation Relations can assist you in obtaining frequently requested university documents. Please contact our office for more information.

What are my responsibilities as Principal Investigator of a grant-sponsored project?
The Principal Investigator (PI), acting through her/his department, school, or college, is responsible for the proper fiscal management and conduct of the project. During the proposal development process, the PI provides the first draft of the proposal, works with the Division of Research and Sponsored Programs to develop the budget and completes the necessary steps in the online grants management system (Kuali Research – see below).

If awarded a grant, the PI is responsible for working with Foundation Relations, the Division of Research and Sponsored Programs and Grants Accounting to fulfill all reporting responsibilities as defined by the foundation.

What is Kuali Research?
Kuali Research is Kent State’s electronic system for proposal submission, research compliance and grants management; all proposals submitted for sponsored projects are processed in Kuali Research. This system was designed to simplify and streamline grant award acquisition and administration for the university and provide a central web-based repository of proposal, award and other information. 

The system allows for collaboration among PIs, the Division of Research and Sponsored Programs staff, Foundation Relations staff and departmental administrators who can all share access to the proposal data, budget and submission materials. Proposal processing in Kuali Research includes electronic routing to administrators of the units involved in each application for approval, replacing paper transmittals and improving efficiency.