Visual Schedule Builder
Effective Summer 2017
Visual Schedule Builder (VSB) is a new tool to help students plan their semester by selecting the most optimal schedule based on their academic and personal needs. VSB allows for the selection of several courses within a term and displays different scheduling options based on each section's class meeting information. The generated results will provide scheduling options that are conflict free.
Students can easily create the most optimal schedule by using this interactive tool. They can also work with their advisor.
- Select the term of which you are building your schedule.
- Filter by campus by selecting one or more campuses.
- Use course search to enter courses by course number, title, word within the title, instructor, CRN, or attribute. The course will appear in the list and can be expanded to see the seating availability, course descriptions, requirements, prerequisites/corequisites, course notes, and attributes.
- (Optional) You may choose your sort preference to order your results by: Most days off, Morning classes, Mid-day classes, Evening classes, Time off campus, and Most on-campus.
- (Optional) You may filter the results by including or excluding classes that include any combination of: Full classes, Waitlisted classes, Online classes, and On-campus classes.
- (Optional) If there are times that you cannot attend, click and drag on those hours within the calendar to block out any use of those times. This allows for work schedules, rehearsals, and other blocks of time to be excluded from the results.
- Review the generated results. You can browse the results by clicking on the right and left arrows on the screen or use the arrows on the keyboard. If there is a particular section that you prefer, you can pin it down so that it is always returned in the results.
- Click on the Sent CRNs to my Worksheet button to register for the courses in your optimal schedule. This will transfer the sections chose to the Add or Drop Classes worksheet within FlashLine. You are not registered for the courses until you click on the Submit Changes button. Please be sure to review your final registration schedule on the Add or Drop Classes page to ensure that nothing has prevented registration to the courses selected. Students may not use the Sent CRNs to my Worksheet button until it is there time to register and after they have met any financial obligations to the university.
If you are creating your optimal schedule, but it is not your time to register, you can save schedules by clicking "Add to Favorites" within the Results panel. These will appear in the Favorites panel and can be loaded to the Results panel at a later time. It is highly recommended that you name each favorite to identify its contents.
To load previously saved schedules, expand the Favorites panel, select the schedule, and click Load. You can also delete an unneeded schedule.
You can enter courses by course number, title, word in the title, instructor, CRN, or attribute. The course will appear in a list and can be expanded to see the seat availability, course descriptions, requirements, prerequisites/corequisites, course notes, and attributes.
Kent Core attributes are displayed under the course title. You can search for a Kent Core course like all other courses. If you do not know which Kent Core course to take, but know the attribute, you can enter that into each course search.
For students, within FlashLine, Visual Schedule Builder can be found in the Student Dashboard, under Priority Resources.
For advisors, within FlashLine, it can found under the Faculty & Advisors category > Advisor Dashboard or under Faculty & Advisors category > Resources page > Advising section.
You can use an already created GPS plan by importing that term into Visual Schedule Builder. To do so, select the plan from the Import from my GPS Plan dropdown. Once populated, you can adjust your schedule as needed.
To register for the courses you have chosen for your schedule, click the Send to CRNs to my Worksheet button once it is your time to register. This will apply the sections chosen to the Add or Drop Classes worksheet within FlashLine. You are not registered for the courses until you click on the Submit Changes button on the Add or Drop Classes page.
Yes, you are able to create or update your optimal schedule using your mobile phone.
If there is a particular section that you prefer, you can pin a section by clicking on the red pin in the top right corner of the course. This will hold the course on your schedule to allow for that particular section to always be included in your generated results.
If there are times that you cannot attend, click and drag on those hours within the calendar to block out any use of those times. This allows for work schedules, rehearsals, and other blocks of time to be excluded from the results.