Bachelor's Students Awarded Associate Degrees FAQ | University Registrar | Kent State University

Bachelor's Students Awarded Associate Degrees FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Will I have to reapply for admission if I earn an associate degree?
A. No, you will not have to reapply for admission.

Q. Will I need to re-declare my major?
A. No, you will remain in your declared bachelor’s degree program.

Q. Will earning an associate degree impact my financial aid eligibility?
A. No, your financial eligibility will not be affected by earning the associate degree.

Q. Will my student loans go into repayment six months after I earn my associate degree?
A. No. As long as you are continuously enrolled at least half time and working on your bachelor’s degree, earning your associate degree will not change your loan repayment schedule. A student must complete Exit Loan Counseling when they exit the university, drop to less than half time enrollment status or graduate. You must complete Exit Loan Counseling on the web, via

Q. I understand that I must be continuously enrolled at least half-time to prevent my student loans from going into repayment.  I am not taking classes this summer. Will my loans go into repayment during this time?
A. Yes, they mayIf you do not intend to enroll in classes for the summer semester, after earning the associate degree in the spring, you will need to contact your loan servicer to determine your eligibility for deferment or forbearance.

Learn more about Deferment and Forbearance

Q. Will I receive the Associate of Arts or the Associate of Science?  

Bachelor’s Degree AA or AS

Q. Will I receive a diploma? 
A. Yes, your diploma will be mailed to your diploma address as it appears in FlashLine. If you do not have a diploma address on file, your diploma will be mailed to your permanent address as it appears on FlashLine. Please check your address for accuracy.

Q. Will the associate degree appear on my transcript?
A. Yes, your associate degree will be noted on your transcript.

Q. Must I attend commencement to receive my associate degree?
A. No, you are not required to attend your campus commencement ceremony in order to receive your associate degree. 

Q. Can I repeat a course at a later date if I have my associate degree?
A. Yes, courses taken as part of a completed associate degree may be repeated under course repeat policy.

Q. Can I use the Academic Forgiveness Policy if I have been awarded an associate degree?
A. The Academic Forgiveness Policy can apply to any course not used in awarding the associate degree.

Q. What should I do if I do not want an associate degree?
A. Complete the Opt-Out Form (PDF) and return to the address on the form or scan and email the form to

Complete the Opt-Out Form (PDF)

Q. If I opt-out of the associate degree can I change my mind and get it?
A. Yes, you can still choose to earn the degree by completing an undergraduate change of program and applying to graduate.

Q. What should I do if I already have a degree from another college or university?
A. You should select to opt-out (PDF).