Credit by Exam
Students with demonstrable ability and knowledge in a particular subject area may earn credit in selected courses though Credit-By-Examination (CBE).
Students who wish to pursue CBE must complete the CBE application to gain appropriate college and departmental permission. The appropriate academic department administers the exam which may include the completion of additional assignments. The minimum passing standard for CBE is the equivalent of a “C” grade. However, no letter grade, only credit hours, are posted to the academic transcript for CBE.
- CBE is only available to current enrolled degree seeking Kent State University students excluding transient, College Credit Plus, guest and workshop.
- CBE credits cannot be used to fulfill the Resident Requirement.
- The appropriate academic department administers the exam.
To be eligible for CBE, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have not been previously enrolled or earned a grade for the course.
- Have not previously withdrawn from the course.
- Have not previously attempted Credit by Exam or college level examination program (CLEP) for this course.
- Fees are non-refundable.
- Credit by examination, as requested, may not be reversed.
- List of Approved classes for Fall 2023 (PDF)