Information can be shared with the university community in various ways and the type of information will generally dictate which vehicle is best.
- FlashLine notifications (appear behind the red bell in the masthead of FlashLine)
- University emails, when criteria is met
- Promotion of events/news on: Kent State University website, Kent State website calendar, Kent State institutional social media platforms and e-Inside
Submitting Communication Requests
- University calendar events (including e-Inside events) can be submitted using the new university calendar event form.
- All other communication requests should utilize the communication request form.
e-Inside is the university's official newsletter for communicating with faculty and staff. The newsletter is distributed every Monday morning. If you would like to have your information included in e-Inside, please fill out the new university event request form. If you have news of your achievements that you would like to share in e-Inside with the university community, please use the achievements form instead.
Deadline: You must have your request submitted by 5 p.m. Tuesday if you would like it included in the newsletter on the following Monday.
FLASHLINE Email or FlashLine Notification
The definition of a FlashLine communication shall be a method of electronic information exchange using either a:
- Targeted announcement (email), only if the request meets email criteria
- FlashLine notification
Please be advised that a request for a targeted announcement (email) must comprise information deemed as official university business and must meet specific criteria.
KENT STATE UNIVERSITY WEBSITE
You may have noticed that Kent State University promotes upcoming events, news, and student, faculty and staff success stories on its website as a way of communicating with the university and external community. They are highlighted on the website as either a:
The following criteria must be met:
- Appeal to the designated audience
- Request includes a web page or website to link to for more information (can be a Kent State page or external page)
- Request is submitted 1 week before requested publication
*Note: Due to required preparation time, Kent State website requests must be submitted 1 week in advance of the requested publication date to be considered. Events and news must meet certain criteria and, due to timing and competing events, all requests may not be honored.
KENT STATE SOCIAL MEDIA NETWORKS
Kent State University's Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other pages include posts about major news and success stories. Because some social media sites will punish a page for making posts that don't garner a lot of interaction, UCM will determine which channels a post is appropriate for based on past experiences with a post of that type.
*Note: Social media requests should be submitted at least 1 week (7 days) in advance of requested publication.
Other Marketing Methods
Are you wondering if your department or departmental organization can post an event here? The answer is yes! The following criteria must be met:
- Your submission must be an event with a definitive time and place.
- The event cannot be an announcements, holiday or closing.
- The submission must be completed at least one week in advance.
After you submit an event, University Communications and Marketing will review the submission for content, spelling and grammar before publishing it in the calendar.
Please note, not all events will appear on the Kent State home page. When you submit your event, you will be asked to choose a category, and that category will determine where your event will appear on the website and in FlashLine. All events DO appear on the university’s event calendar.
If your department has several reoccurring events throughout the year please email email@example.com to determine if your department meets the criteria to submit events through a Salesforce account.
Kent State University Media Relations
A key element in any marketing effort is news coverage. Our media relations professionals seek ways to generate coverage that will enhance the image of Kent State University. Depending on the story, we aim beyond the local to regional, national and international media, including print, broadcast and the Internet.
We invite you to contact us with information about your research, special activities and events. While we can't promise coverage of every event, we will assess the newsworthiness of activities and, depending on the story and timing, we can:
- Write and distribute a news release and include it on the For the Media web page.
- Use a news release that you provide and include it on the For the Media web page (note that your release may be subject to editing).
Sometimes the interest in a story or event may be to a specialized or limited audience, even within an academic area. We're happy to work with you to determine the appropriate audience for your message, or the appropriate message for your audience. For other services provided by University Communications & Marketing Media Relations, please visit the Media Relations.
Reminder: If appropriate, you may also want to pitch your story to the Daily Kent Stater.