Read and follow this process after receiving your I-20 or DS-2019
- Step 1: Verify your personal information on your Form I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1). Ensure that your name and birth date match your passport. If you find mistakes notify our office immediately.
- Step 2: Read page 2 of your Form I-20 or DS-2019. On Form I-20, print and sign your name and date your Form at Number 11. On Form DS-2019, complete “Exchange Visitor Certification” Box (at bottom).
- Step 3: Prior to applying for your F-1 or J-1 student visa you must pay a $200 SEVIS fee to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
- Step 4: Schedule the visa interview. The documents you need for the interview are: valid passport, Form I-20 or DS-2019, your I-901 receipt and financial documents showing sufficient funds to study abroad. The officer will review the documents and return all documents to you.
- Step 5: At the port of entry into the U.S., present your passport stamped with valid visa and Form I-20 or DS-2019 to a Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Officer. The officer will review and stamp your passport with your visa status and date. Be sure to collect all of your documents and retain any additional documents given to you by the CBP Officer.
- Step 6: Upon arrival at Kent State University report to the Office of Global Education, 106 Van Campen Hall, 625 Loop Road. You must present your passport and Form I-20 or DS-2019. The same documentation is required for any accompanying dependents. Failure to report to the school listed at Number 2 on your Form I-20 will be reported to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as a violation of your immigration status.
Never leave your documents unattended. These forms are critical to your stay in the US.
If you have questions on the procedures listed here, email email@example.com.