- Academic Departments
- Academic Success Center
- Academic Learning Center, Columbiana Campus
- Academic Advising - Undergraduate
- Academic STARS
- Academic Testing Services
- Academic Transfer
- Accreditation, Assessment and Learning (formerly Academic Quality Improvement Project or AQIP)
- Accounting, Department of
- Accounts Payable
- Accessibility Services
- Administrative Offices
- Adult Students
- Advanced Placement Program
- Aerospace Studies/Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corp
- Affirmative Action Office
- Air Force ROTC
- Alma Mater
- Alumni Relations
- Animal Research
- Annual Kent State Symposium on Democracy
- Apps, Kent State
- Anthropology, Department of
- Architecture and Environmental Design, College of
- Architect's Office
- Army ROTC
- Art, School of
- Art Education
- Arts and Sciences, College of
- Arts, College of the
- Ashtabula Campus
Senior Honors Thesis/Project
Students who wish to graduate with Honors from the Kent State University Honors College must complete and successfully defend a Senior Honors Thesis/Project.
What is a Senior Honors Thesis?
The Senior Honors Thesis/Project is a 6-credit-hour independent project. It may be a research, creative, or applied project and is completed under the direction of a faculty member. Regardless of the nature of the project, the final thesis is a formal written document.
For samples of theses in your discipline, please refer to our Thesis Archive.
Why Should I Complete a Senior Honors Thesis?
Students who work closely with faculty though the process have unique advantages in demonstrating their scholarly commitment. Graduate schools frequently require writing or research samples as part of the application process and this criteria is often weighed heavily in evaluating your skills and preparation for succeeding in their programs. The honors thesis/creative project can also be beneficial to those entering the job market. This work can provide tangible evidence of your research, writing and creative skills to prospective employers. Honors theses/creative projects demonstrate experience with design, execution, analysis, and presentation in your field of study.
All students may benefit from the opportunity to work on a sustained individual project. Some of the benefits associated with the Senior Honors Thesis/Project include:
- The ability to Graduate with Honors with distinction in your academic program of study
- Preparation for further work at the graduate or professional level
- Demonstration that you have the maturity, the persistence, the commitment, and the organizational skills to produce a challenging piece of research
- Development of a sense of independence as a self-starting, highly motivated individual who can handle the challenge of a non-structured academic task
How Do I Get Started on a Thesis?
The Honors College is here to support you throughout this process. The more you communicate with faculty and staff to better understand the process, the more you will find that it enhances your education.
Please explore the resources available in the Senior Honors Thesis Handbook to you to ensure your success.