- Academic Departments
- Academic Success Center
- Academic Learning Center, Columbiana Campus
- Academic Advising - Undergraduate
- Academic STARS
- Academic Testing Services
- Academic Transfer
- Accreditation, Assessment and Learning (formerly Academic Quality Improvement Project or AQIP)
- Accounting, Department of
- Accounts Payable
- Accessibility Services
- Administrative Offices
- Adult Students
- Advanced Placement Program
- Aerospace Studies/Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corp
- Affirmative Action Office
- Air Force ROTC
- Alma Mater
- Alumni Relations
- Animal Research
- Annual Kent State Symposium on Democracy
- Apps, Kent State
- Anthropology, Department of
- Architecture and Environmental Design, College of
- Architect's Office
- Army ROTC
- Art, School of
- Art Education
- Arts and Sciences, College of
- Arts, College of the
- Ashtabula Campus
Frequently Asked Questions
What is ALEKS®?
ALEKS® (Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces) is a powerful (AI)-artificial intelligence based assessment software product that zeros in on the student's mathematical strengths and weaknesses, reports its findings, and then if necessary provides a learning module to improve the student's knowledge and skill.
What is the cost of the ALEKS placement assessment?
The initial assessment, six week learning module, and second assessment (the "reassessment") is covered by fees already paid.
Can I practice with ALEKS before I take the placement assessment?
For more information about ALEKS and/or sign up for an optional free trial, visit the ALEKS® website.
Do all Kent State University students take the ALEKS placement assessment?
Mathematics placement is required of all new freshmen and those transfer students who have NOT:
- successfully completed a college level mathematics course at another college or university, or
- earned scores of 3 or higher on the Advanced Placement Calculus AB or Calculus BC test.
How long does it take to complete the ALEKS assessment?
The assessment may take around 60 to 90 minutes, so plan accordingly. Short breaks are permitted during the assessment since it is not timed. Please complete your first assessment; if you log out before completing it, you may log back in and ALEKS will resume where you left off. The ALEKS assessment will be available 48 hours from the time of your first login. After that, it will timeout and you will not be able to complete that assessment.
Does ALEKS require any special software to run on my computer?
The use of ALEKS requires installation of the ALEKS plug-in or use of the streaming plug-in. The plug-in should install on your computer automatically the first time you access the ALEKS site. After installation of the ALEKS plug-in, restart (reboot) your computer.
Who should I contact if I am unable to log in to my math assessment?
If you are unable to access your ALEKS Mathematics Placement assessment because it has been more than 48 hours since you first logged in to the assessment, please contact Academic Engagement and Degree Completion at 330-672-0166 or firstname.lastname@example.org