First Step is Kent State University at Stark's freshman advising and registration program. It's how new freshmen register for classes.
We realize that college is an exciting and challenging time for you and your family, so we've developed First Step to help you make a smooth transition to your life as a college student.
Ready to Make Your Reservation?
If you have completed your placement assessments as instructed in your invitation letter, you can go to First Step Reservations.
Who Attends First Step?
First Step is required for all new Kent State Stark freshmen age 20 and under.
First Step Invitations Mailed to Your Home
After you are admitted, your First Step invitation will be mailed to your home. Your invitation is customized specifically to you and includes instructions that you will need to follow in order to register for classes.
- FALL Admission: First Step invitations will be mailed to you in late February
- SPRING Admission: First Step invitations will be mailed to you in late October
What is Covered During First Step?
First Step takes place from 9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. and includes:
- an optional campus tour at 8:30 a.m. First Step begins at 9:30 a.m.
- an academic advising workshop
- a session on paying for college
- an individual meeting with an academic advisor
- registering for classes
- an individual meeting with the financial aid staff, if you choose
- receiving your Kent State FLASHcard ID
You must plan your day accordingly so that you can attend First Step for its entire duration. First Step is considered an excused absence for high school seniors and participation letters for Guidance Offices can be provided.
When Does First Step Take Place?
- Fall 2017 First Step dates will begin in late March 2017. Multiple dates will be offered.
- Spring 2018 First Step dates take place in December 2017.
How Do I Register for First Step?
Shortly after you've been admitted to Kent State Stark, you will receive an official invitation to First Step with instructions specifically for you. Follow the instructions carefully in your invitation. Before you can attend First Step, you may be required to take placement assessments which will be detailed in your invitation letter.
Is there a Campus Tour at First Step?
Yes, we offer an optional campus tour at 8:30 a.m. before First Step begins at 9:30 a.m. When you register for First Step, indicate if you plan to take a campus tour.
FIRST STEP CONTACT
Office of Student Services