KSUview gives designated individuals access to view selected student information online.
However, it doesn't allow other people to discuss student information with university representatives. To have those conversations, your student must give you Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) authorization.
What is FERPA?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), is a federal law that sets forth requirements regarding the privacy of student records. FERPA governs the disclosure of student records maintained by an educational institution as well as access to those records.
FERPA grants four specific rights to the student:
- The right to review and inspect their educational records;
- The right to have their educational records amended or corrected;
- The right to limit disclosure of some portions of their educational records; and
- The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by institutions to comply with the act.
When a student begins attending Kent State, the student is automatically protected under FERPA, regardless of age. Concerns such as progress in a course, deficiencies in a subject area, scores and grades on papers, exams, etc. are all examples of personally identifiable information that constitute part of the student's education record. Kent State is not permitted by FERPA to release or provide access to this information to a student’s parent or legal guardian, except under the following conditions.
- A student provides written authorization to the One Stop for Student Services that specifically identifies what information may be released to the parent(s). At Kent State, the student may complete this authorization online through FlashLine, or in person at the One Stop for Student Services .
- The parent(s) establish that the student is a tax-dependent according to the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, Section 152.
For more information regarding Kent State University’s policy on student records, please visit the One Stop for Student Services website.