Things To Do In Kent After Future Flash Day
There's still so much to do and see after Future Flash Day, and Downtown Kent's got you covered!
After spending the day with your Future Flash walking the blue carpet, connecting with their academic program and touring our beautiful campus, you’ll have an entire afternoon and evening to explore the lovely Downtown Kent and the surrounding areas. With so much to do and see, it's no surprise that our classic college town of Kent was ranked as a 2022-2023 Best Hometown by Ohio Magazine.
1. If you’re hungry and in Kent, you’ve got to go to Ray’s Place: When anyone from Kent thinks of Kent, they think of Ray’s. Serving mouth-watering American staples from burgers to beer, and from wings to wraps, Ray’s has served the Kent community for 85 years. Parents can enjoy their wide beer and wine selection as well as their colorful cocktail menu.
2. Tuck in to a giant burrito at Taco Tontos: Locally owned and a Kent legend among alumni, Taco Tontos offers fresh, carefully crafted, handmade Mexican cuisine made from scratch. From burritos to tacos, and chips to salsas, most items are completely customizable with endless combinations of add-ons and sauces. There are vegetarian options as well!
3. Grab a meal to remember at Mike’s Place: Considered by some to be the most eccentric restaurant in Kent, Mike’s Place is an experience within itself! As their decor is complete with a castle tower, a Star Wars X-Wing and even a boat, their menu is even more eye-catching. Mike's Place offers just about everything, from breakfast to wings, and burgers to pizza, everyone in the family will find something to enjoy!
4. Save room for dessert at Popped!: Kent’s beloved popcorn shop serves up your favorites: Classic buttered popcorn, kettlecorn, caramel corn and our personal favorite, the Black Squirrel Crunch, which is caramel popcorn with roasted peanuts, kettlecorn and chunks of milk chocolate covered peanut brittle toffee chunks. Popped also offers truffles, caramel squares, gummies and more!
SHOPS AND GIFTS
1. Show off your Kent State pride at Kent Sportswear: A newer addition to Downtown Kent, Kent Sportswear is your one stop shop for all KSU and Kent, Ohio apparel and gifts. Owned by Kent State alumni, this store offers tees, hoodies, jackets, hats, mugs, stickers and more, all designed and printed locally.
2. Explore McKay Bricker Framing and Black Squirrel Gifts: This Kent staple is not only a well-respected picture framing and design store, but it is also the hub of locally handcrafted gifts and all things black squirrel-related (we’re nuts about our squirrels here). Powered by passionate artists and employees, discover unique gifts and pieces to bring that warm, cozy Kent feeling back home.
3. Unleash your inner child in Off the Wagon: For the kid in all of us! As their tagline of “Weird, Funny, Gag Gifts” describes, you can spend hours discovering something new or entertaining in this store. Featuring an eclectic collection of rubber chickens, finger puppets, edible crickets and more, you will also find adorable plushies, novelty toys, pins, books and games!
1. Walk or bike the Portage Hike and Bike Trail: This beautiful trail stretches over a dozen miles long and can be found alongside the Cuyahoga River in Downtown Kent. The trail traverses Franklin Mills Riveredge Park where you can typically find the people of Kent enjoying a picnic or relaxing on the green. Heading south from Franklin Mills Riveredge Park will take you to John Brown Tannery Park, the location of Crooked River Adventures, where you can rent a kayak or canoe in the summer.
2. Visit the May 4 Visitors Center: Take a moment to revisit history in the May 4 Visitors Center or follow the guided walking tour around Taylor Hall. This tour includes seven marker panels featuring pictures, maps and descriptions of events that transpired. There is also an option to view a video documentary and listen to audio accompanying the tour.
3. Catch a show at the Kent Stage: Nightlife in Kent starts at the Kent Stage! This Kent staple hosts over 150 concerts a year, while also hosting film nights and festivals, so chances are, there will be a show to attend after your Future Flash Day! Parents can also partake in their full service bar.
Want to learn more about Downtown Kent and discover all that this vibrant community has to offer? Visit our Explore Kent webpage!