Academic and Personal Resources

The university, the city of Kent, and Northeast Ohio offer many academic, personal and cultural resources to students. Following is a description of some of the academic and personal resources.

The Counselor Education and Supervision Program

Counselor Education and Supervision occupies 8,500 square feet of classrooms, study rooms, practicum facilities, offices and service areas, all housed together as one unit on the Kent campus. We are also associated with The Counseling Center, located in White Hall, Room 325, an on-campus practicum facility for counseling. Eight group, family and individual rooms are maintained. The Counseling Center has facilities for live observation, digital recording and playback, and record keeping.

  • Counselor Education and Supervision/ documents:
    • Provides a list of forms you will need to utilize throughout the course of your master’s program.
    • Examples of documents include practicum and internship log sheets, plan of study forms and the master’s student manual.

The School of Lifespan Development and Educational Sciences (LDES) 

  • Phone number: 330-672-2294
    • Office of the staff members who processes GA applications, appointment forms and course registration
    • Office of the LDES School Director

The College of Education Health and Human Services (EHHS)

Office of the Dean
  • Bureau of Research Training and Services (BRTS): Graduate students involved in research may use the services of the BRTS. The bureau is located on
    • the 5th floor of White Hall, Room 507. (Accessible on the east side of the building.) For more information call 330-672- 7918.
    • Services include:
    • Assistance with survey development and implementation.
    • Transcription and data entry of quantitative and qualitative data.
    • Provides statistical consultation and analysis.
    • Provides assistance in program evaluation.
    • Provides research consultation.
  • EHHS Scholarships: EHHS offers a number of scholarships for which CES students are eligible to apply. For information related to available scholarships, see
  • Food 4 Thought Cybe Café (White Hall): This flagship location offers coffees, teas, bagels, salads, wraps, smoothies, flatbreads, flatbread pizzas and a variety of other healthy refueling options. A computer bank and ample seating make the original Food 4 Thought a great on-campus place to study or discuss. Hours of operation: Monday- Thursday: 8 a.m.-8 p.m., Friday: 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
  • Graduate Student Senate (GSS): The College of Education, Health and Human Services has a Graduate Student Association in Education which considers the concerns of the student body and transmits them to various faculty and administrative groups on campus as appropriate. Each program area has its own representative.
  • Instructional Resource Center: IRC services are available through the desk in Room 221 White Hall. If you need to make equipment reservations, put items on reserve, purchase supplies, get state and/or federal fingerprints, make color copies, print posters or any other IRC services, please call 672- 2256 or come to Room 221. 
Background checks Printing/copying (Color & B/W)
Poster Printing
Spine Binding
Computer Lab Facility
Technology Workshops
Digital Fax/Scanning
Video Dubbing
Equipment borrowing
Equipment for sale (e.g., CDs)

The University

Kent State University is a publicly supported center of undergraduate and graduate education located in Northeast Ohio in the large urban triangle which includes Cleveland, Akron, Canton and Youngstown. The university has been designated a Doctoral Research University-Extensive by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. There are approximately 22,000 students on the Kent Campus, where this program is located. The College of Education, Health and Human Services is one of the university’s main units in size. Graduate students comprise about 40% of the college’s enrollment.

The Kent Campus of Kent State includes 2,466 acres. The focal point of the 105-building campus is the University Center with its plaza, 12 story open-stack library, and Kent Student Center. 

  • Student Accessibility Services provides assistance to students with varying degrees and types of disabilities in order to maximize educational opportunity and academic potential (see Special transportation services and accessible facilities open the campus to individuals with disabilities.

  • Kent State Department of Residence Services: The university maintains a graduate level residence hall with single rooms and one and two bedroom apartments for married students and students with families. For more information see

  • The Kent State University Library is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, it has continuing subscriptions to many of the journals directly related to counseling, and it is a member of Ohio LINK which provides cooperative resource sharing through online circulation of materials. (see

  • Graduate Student Senate (GSS): The university also has a Graduate Student Senate, which performs a similar function at the campus-wide level. The CES Program has had a representative to the Graduate Student Senate.

  • Kent State’s Recreational Services offers many recreational, athletic and wellness-enhancing opportunities for students and the greater Kent community (see Many of these activities occur at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, as well as other locations on campus. A full range of cultural activities is also available to students (see

  • Kent State University’s Student Ombuds ( is available to assist students. 

    Go to to see other available student resources on campus.

Mental Health Services:

Students in need of personal counseling are encouraged to use the Counseling and Psychological Services. CPS is located in the DeWeese Health Center on campus. To make further inquiries call 330-672-2487. Below are other community-based mental health agencies in the area. University Psychological Services (or a CES faculty member) could help with additional referrals.

  • Coleman Processional Services provides mental health and addiction services for adults and children including 24 /7 crisis stabilization. (330) 673-1347
  • Townhall II offer’s 24/7 crisis helpline, counseling for youth and adults with substance use disorders and mental health disorders. (330) 678-3006
  • University of Akron: Clinic for Individual and Family Counseling provides mental health services to Kent State University Counseling, Education, and Supervision graduate students for free, under dual partnership.