Counselor Education and Supervision
At the master's degree level, the CES Program focuses on three areas: Clinical Mental Health Counseling, School Counseling and Rehabilitation Counseling. A doctoral degree (Ph.D.) is offered in Counselor Education and Supervision. The CES faculty members are advocates for the counseling profession and are affiliated with the American Counseling Association.
The faculty in the Counselor Education and Supervision program at Kent State University strive to be student centered, research-informed, ethically sound, and culturally responsive. Most recently, they have been awarded the 2019 NCACES Innovative Counselor Education program award for their leadership contributions to the profession and community.
Counselor Education and Supervision (CES) is proud to say that our program has propelled many graduates into successful careers as counselors, supervisors, leaders, and university professors throughout Ohio and other states.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF OUR PROGRAMS INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- 2019 North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Innovative Program Award
- Nationally accredited master’s and doctoral programs by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). CACREP is the national accrediting body representing standards of excellence in the counseling profession.
- The Clinical Mental Health Counseling has approved curriculum from the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage & Family Therapist Board.
- The School Counseling program has approved curriculum from the Ohio Department of Education.
- The program utilizes an in-house counseling center (The Counseling Center) for training purposes. The Counseling Center is considered one of the largest counseling centers in the nation.
Counseling at Kent State University has its roots in over seventy years of history, having been instituted in 1946 as the first counselor preparation program in Northern Ohio. The CES's Program’s founder, Professor Dwight Arnold, was one of the pioneers in school counseling and group guidance in the United States.
We take pride in the graduates from our Program! Many have distinguished themselves as counselors, supervisors, leaders, and university professors throughout Ohio and in other states.
January 14, 2020 CES Master's Student Mandatory Orientation, 7:20 pm, What Hall 100
February 7, 2020 CES Doctoral Applicant Interview Day, 9:00 am - 1:00 pm, Moulton Hall Ballroom
March 13, 2020 CSI/CES Banquet, 7:00 pm, KSU Student Center
April 4, 2020 CSI State Conference, Kent State University
April 4, 2020 OACES Spring Conference, Heidleberg University
April 15 - 19, 2020 ACA Conference, San Diego, CA
April 28, 2020 Last day of Classes for Spring Semester