Faculty Grievance and Appeal Procedures

1.  Informal Procedure

In the case of a complaint or dispute between two or more colleagues, the Department Chair will attempt to bring parties to an informal resolution.  If this is not possible, the matter should be presented to FAC for resolution.  If the complaint or dispute concerns the Chair, that is, if he or she is a party to the complaint or dispute, the matter should be brought before FAC and adjudicated by them.  At this meeting, the electing CAC Representative will Chair.  Affected faculty retain their right to file formal grievances involving contract violations.

2.  Formal Procedure

Formal procedures for addressing grievances affecting the terms and conditions of employment of faculty are described in the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement.  Disputes involving substantive academic judgments are subject to a separate academic appeals process governed by the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Faculty grievances that are not directly related to the terms or conditions of employment and are not academic appeals are appropriately addressed within the Department, whenever possible.  The Chair and/or faculty members will initiate an informal dialogue with all parties involved in a dispute and strive to reach a resolution agreeable to all parties.