Financial Aid Checklist
august - September
- Apply for admission to Kent State University by February 1 for scholarship consideration for incoming freshmen.
- Begin a comprehensive scholarship search using the Kent State University Online Scholarship Search.
- Review the Student Financial Aid website to gain basic knowledge of financial aid.
- Use the FAFSA4caster to see what types of federal financial aid you may be eligible to receive.
- Estimate your out-of-pocket expenses by using the Kent State Net Price Calculator.
- View current direct costs to attend Kent State University, which include:
- Consider attending a financial aid workshop or high school financial aid presentation.
- Create an FSA ID. If the student is dependent, at least one parent must also apply. The FSA ID will serve as an electronic signature on the FAFSA.
October - December
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal and state financial aid programs. Students are encouraged to file as soon as possible beginning October 1, for early FAFSA processing and awarding. Make sure you are completing the FAFSA for the correct aid year. To ensure maximum eligibility, complete the FAFSA no later than Feb 1.
- View any outstanding financial aid requirements via FlashLine.
January - march
- New freshmen can begin viewing their financial aid awards beginning mid-January via FlashLine.
- New Kent Campus freshman: register for Destination Kent State orientation.
- Review Terms and Conditions of receiving financial aid on FlashLine.
- Review Enrollment Plan Information and Summer Enrollment Plans, if necessary, on the "Resources/Additional Information" tab in FlashLine (will be available after January 1).
- If you plan to enroll at Kent State University for summer semester and would like to use your financial aid, view more information.
- Returning students can begin viewing their financial aid awards in late March via FlashLine.
April - May
- Loans are funds that must be repaid; only borrow what you need after careful consideration. If borrowing federal student loans:
- View information about direct loan interest rates and repayment of federal loans.
- Students must accept, decline or reduce federal loans via FlashLine.
- First-time borrowers: Sign the Master Promissory Note and complete Entrance Loan Counseling
- Parents who plan to borrow can apply for the Federal Direct PLUS Loan.
- If borrowing a private/alternative student loan, compare lender options and apply through FastChoice, or through an education lender of your choice.
- If awarded institutional scholarships from Kent State University, accept via FlashLine.
June - July
- New freshmen: Attend Destination Kent State orientation and receive the "Your Financial Aid Plan" document.
- Notification of your invoice will be sent to you by email in July. The invoice will list your actual expenses as of that day.
- Visit the One Stop for detailed billing and due date information.
- Review information about authorization of Title IV aid under the Financial Aid section of FlashLine.
- Choose your student refund selection after receiving your BankMobile Welcome packet in the mail.