Financial Aid Checklist
august - September
- Apply for admission to Kent State University by January 15 for scholarship consideration for incoming freshmen.
- Begin a comprehensive scholarship search on the Student Financial Aid website.
- Review types of financial aid and general information on the Student Financial Aid website.
- Estimate your out-of-pocket expenses by using the Net Price Calculator.
- View current costs to attend Kent State University.
- View current housing and dining information.
- Consider attending a financial aid workshop or high school presentation.
- Create an FSA ID. If the student is dependent, at least one parent must also apply. The FSA ID will serve as an electronic signature on the FAFSA.
October - December
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by December 1 to ensure maximum financial aid eligibility. Make sure you are completing the FAFSA for the correct aid year. Complete the FAFSA no later than Feb 1.
- View an outstanding financial aid requirements via FlashLine.
January - march
- New Kent Campus freshman, register for Destination Kent State.
- Review Terms and Conditions of receiving financial aid on FlashLine.
- Update Enrollment Plan Information and summer enrollment plans, if necessary, on the "Resources/Additional Information" tab in FlashLine (will be available late February).
- If you plan to enroll at Kent State University for summer semester and would like to use your financial aid, view more information.
- Returning students can begin viewing their financial aid awards in late March via FlashLine.
April - May
- To make an informed decision about borrowing a student loan, utilize tools and information regarding financial wellness. Students are strongly encouraged to create a budget to project their expenses prior to attending. Loans are funds that must be repaid; only borrow what you need after careful consideration.
- If borrowing federal student loans:
- Students must accept, decline or reduce federal loans via FlashLine.
- First-time borrowers: Sign the Master Promissory Note and complete Entrance Loan Counseling
- Parents can apply for the Federal Direct PLUS Loan.
- View information about direct loan interest rates and repayment of federal loans.
- If borrowing a private/alternative student loan, compare lender options and apply through FastChoice.
- If awarded institutional scholarships from Kent State University, accept via FlashLine.
June - July
- New freshmen: Attend Destination Kent State and receive the "Your Financial Plan" document.
- Review your Kent State email account (beginning in July) for email notification regarding your e-bill.
- Visit the One Stop for detailed billing and due date information.
- Review information about authorization of Title IV aid under the Financial Aid section of FlashLine.
- Make a refund selection after receiving your BankMobile Welcome packet in the mail.