Frequently Asked Questions

What is a FLASHcard?

The FLASHcard is your Kent State University ID card and more. Your card will let you take materials out of the Kent State University libraries, access services such as Student Recreation and Wellness Center & athletic events, and purchase goods and services both on and off campus. If you have a dining plan, you will use your FLASHcard to purchase meals in our dining halls. You may also deposit money on your FLASHcard and create a debit account. This plan, now known as FLASHcash (previously called the Golden FLASH Card), will allow you to make purchases both on and off campus wherever the FLASHcard is accepted.

How do I get a FLASHcard?

In order to get your Kent State University FLASHcard you must complete a FLASHcard Application Form (PDF). We are located on the Lower Level in the Kent Student Center next to The LGBTQ+ Center, and are open Monday through Friday 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. You have to have an official state photo ID or Passport. If your are a distance learning student, and can not come to the FLASHcard Office or one of the branch campuses office, you can fill out the Flashcard Distance Learning Application (PDF). Once it has been completed please email the application, a notarized copy of an official state photo ID or Passport to Then upload a photo at using the sidebar links.

What is the Residence Hall Dining Plan?

The Dining Plan is an essential part of the Kent State experience and without one a student could not get the full feel of the college atmosphere. Visit the Dining Services website to view your dining plan options. To add a Dining Plan call the FLASHcard Office at 330-672-2273. To change a meal plan for the spring 2020 semester please visit FLASHLINE after December 1st, 2019 and select the change my meal plan button inside your Meal Plan tile. January 24th, 2020 will be the last day to request a change, or cancel your meal plan.  To petition to be released from a Dining Pan Contract fill out this form: Dining Plan Petition Form (PDF).

What is FLASH Cash?

FLASHcash is a prepaid purchase plan ideal for students, faculty, staff, or anyone who frequently visits the Kent State University Campus. It works like a credit card in reverse. You make an initial deposit to your account, and charges are deducted as you make purchases, much like a debit card issued from your bank. Money on this account carries over yearly and is fully refundable. FLASHcash accounts with no activity during a twelve-month period are considered inactive. Inactive accounts with balances of less than $5 will be closed and the remaining balance forfeited. Inactive accounts with balance over $5 will be assessed an annual $10 service charge. Please visit Card User Agreement for more information.

Can I request a refund for my FLASH Cash?

FLASHcash can be refunded by emailing from your KSU email account. Please include the amount you wish to have refunded, along with your student ID number. The funds are transferred to your student bursar's account, and if you do not owe the university any money, the funds are then distributed back to you by whatever refund method you have on file with the university. To set up or change your refund method please visit Onestop, and under Tuition and Payment click, "Select an Account for your Refund". For questions regarding your refund method please call One Stop at 330-672-6000.

How can i learn more about linking my PNC Bank account to my FLASHcard?

PNC is the exclusive bank of the FLASHcard Program. For more information regarding the PNC Bank campus banking program, please stop by the PNC Bank branch located in the Kent Student Center or visit

What are the benefits of adding PNC to my FLASHcard?

You can extend the flexibility of your FLASHcard by linking it to a new or existing PNC checking account. Your FLASHcard becomes a secondary ATM card and can be used at ATMs or everywhere PIN-based debit is accepted. For additional information regarding the PNC Bank campus banking program, please stop by the PNC Branch located in the Kent Student Center or visit

How do I obtain a retirement/emeritus status FLASHcard?

Qualified employees who earn retirement status, and/or emeritus status with the University are eligible for a new FLASHcard which states your earned status. Your department or human resources will give you an official written notification of the earned status. You are to bring a copy of this notification to the FLASHcard Office, along with your current FLASHcard. We will then print you a new FLASHcard.


Mon - Fri: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sat - Sun: Closed


Lower Level Kent Student Center, Between The Patio & LGBTQ+ Center