Weekend Dissertation Boot Camps
Dissertation Boot Camp Weekend Retreat
Hosted by the Division of Graduate Studies
Completing one's dissertation is the ultimate academic accomplishment, but creating dedicated time to concentrate solely on writing can be difficult. The Division of Graduate Studies is committed to doing whatever it takes to help you succeed. In doing so, we’re excited to offer six Dissertation Boot Camp Weekend Retreats during academic year 2019-20. This boot camp inspired retreat has been developed to provide you with a distraction-free weekend so you can remain focused on your writing!
Our program has been developed to help provide you with a quiet space so you can remain focused on your writing and the opportunity to network with other colleagues working on their dissertations. Plus, we will be providing you all of your meals in one place, so you don't have to break your focus by leaving to eat. The program is hosted in room 330 of the University Library and students can study in computer labs (rooms 333 and 334) and conference room spaces (rooms 320, 352, and 365).
2019-20 Dissertation Boot Camps
- September 13-15, 2019
- November 1-3, 2019
- December 6-8, 2019
- January 31-February 2, 2020
- February 28-March 1, 2020
- April 24-26, 2020
Registration is open for the September session and is on a first come, first served basis until we reach capacity for Kent State students. If you are a graduate student outside of Kent State and wish to attend, please email Kyle Reynolds about availability at firstname.lastname@example.org. The cost for Boot Camp is $40 for Kent State graduate students and $100 for students outside of Kent State University.
Boot Camp Schedules
- 5-6pm: Dinner
- 6-10pm: Goal Setting and Writing Time
- 9am-9:30am: Breakfast
- 9:30am-1pm: Writing Time
- 1-2pm: Lunch
- 2-6pm: Writing Time
- 6-7pm: Dinner
- 7-10pm: Writing Time
- 9am-9:30am: Breakfast
- 9:30am-12pm: Writing Time
- 12-1pm: Lunch
- 1-5pm: Writing Time
Dissertation Boot Camp will give doctoral students:
- a quiet space with computers (or bring your own laptop!),
- structured time to write their dissertation,
- opportunities to schedule statistical consulting appointments leading up to the weekend, (only available for Kent State students)
- meals throughout the entire weekend, in addition to lots of coffee and snacks,
- the opportunity to meet other students working on their dissertation and discuss your writing with them,
- the opportunity to make connections for developing writing and support groups outside of the boot camp,
- resource materials related to research and writing,
- a Dissertation Boot Camp mug as a gift for completing the boot camp.
Some of the progress that students made over our first dissertation boot camp weekend included:
- Completing drafts of two chapters.
- Completing half of a research proposal.
- Determining their sample procedure and reviewing the first three chapters to make them more parallel.
- Reorganizing their paper and correcting formatting issues.
If you have questions about Dissertation Boot Camp, please contact Kyle Reynolds at 330-672-1466 or email@example.com.