Library & Information Science
Library and information science is a meta-discipline, spanning what are considered traditional academic research disciplines (e.g., economics, biology, history, etc.). The theories and practices in library and information science are applied across disciplines. They are varied and many.
Options for Study
- 37-credit hour American Library Association (ALA) Accredited Master of Library and Information Science
- The general Library and Information Science major allows students to build their program of study based on their career goals.
- The School Library Media K-12 major provides the focus and adherence to ALA, CAEP, and Ohio Department of Education standards for those interested in pursuing a career in K-12 School Librarianship.
- The Medical Librarianship Concentration prepares students to work in medical and health sciences libraries, in the community, as part of a health system, hospital, clinician office, academic center, government research agency, or medical specialty area.
- The Archival Studies program is ranked #12 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report and launches students into a growing field that assesses, collects, organizes, preserves and provides access to records and archives of items deemed to have long-term cultural value.
- Dual degree options
- Master of Library and Information Science and Master of Business Administration
- Master of Library and Information Science in School Library Media K-12 and Master of Education in Educational Technology
- Informal dual degree between the Master of Library and Information Science and any other graduate degree at Kent State (pending approval from both programs). The MLIS can be a good combination with iSchool Master of Science degrees. Contact the iSchool Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-672-2782 if you are interested in this option to share credits between two master's degrees.
School Library Media K-12 Licensure non-degree program
Learn more about this program's application requirements.
Find out more about career resources for students and graduates of our library and information science degree.