Google Storage Migration
Google has recently announced an end to unlimited storage for educational institutions. Users will no longer have access to unlimited storage space and changes will effectively take place in Fall 2022. We are anticipating a 15GB storage limit for all users. Here is everything you need to know about the changes and how to prepare.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are currently storing less than 15GB in Google Drive - no action is necessary.
Currently, students, faculty and staff with kent.edu Gmail accounts have unlimited storage for Google Drive, Gmail and Google Photos. In order to prepare for the upcoming storage limitations, the University is asking all Google users to voluntarily review their current storage utilization and delete any unnecessary files. It is anticipated that Google storage at Kent State will be limited to 15GB starting in Fall 2022. View your current storage usage here.
If you need more space than 15GB, please consider using Microsoft OneDrive, available to all active faculty, staff, and students. Community members who have access to Microsoft OneDrive can request that their data be copied from Google Drive to OneDrive via our service catalog. View the full list of options below.
OPTIONS FOR MANAGING YOUR STORAGE
- Review your current storage consumption in Google and delete any unnecessary files. You can review your storage utilization through this dashboard.
- Docs, Sheets, and Numbers files take up relatively small amounts of space. Video, picture, and audio files tend to take up the most amounts of space. When deleting or moving content, it is recommended that you review these types of files first.
- Recommendations for Faculty/Staff/Students/Alumni: Google Takeout is a convenient tool that allows you to download all of your Google data to your local machine. Please note that this only downloads your content. You will still need to delete files in the Google environment.
- Recommendations for Faculty/Staff: Request to copy your content from Google Drive to Microsoft OneDrive. This will copy all of your files in Google Drive to Microsoft OneDrive. OneDrive has a 5TB quota, which is significantly larger and may be beneficial for a number of users. Google Slides, Sheets, and Docs files will be automatically converted to their Office 365 counterpart. The University agreement for Office 365 is for active students. When you get close to graduation, if you wish to use this service, you will need to make arrangements to copy your data over to another storage solution if you do not wish to lose anything. Please note: this service only COPIES your data over. Once you are happy with the migration, you will need to delete content from Google to free up your storage.
TIPS TO MANAGE YOUR GOOGLE STORAGE
- To view how much storage you’re currently using, click here.
- To review and delete files that you no longer need in Google Drive, click here.
- To review and delete files that you no longer need in shared drives, click here.
- To search for and delete emails that you no longer need, go to manage files in your Google Drive storage and follow the instructions for Gmail.
USE THIS CHECKLIST:
- Identify and delete large, unnecessary files in your Google storage here.
- Make sure to empty your trash.
- Double check that you are under the 15GB limit here.
WE'RE HERE TO HELP.
To chat or call the helpdesk, visit support.Kent.edu