Welcome to Information Technology
The Division of Information Technology (IT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across all eight Kent State University campuses and their respective satellite locations. As such, we are instrumental in enabling the day-to-day activities of our University community.
- We design, install, and maintain core computing and communications infrastructure, ensuring secure access to enterprise systems and the university network.
- We design and develop innovative software applications, such as FlashLine and KSUMobile, that connect our students, faculty, and staff to the information they need.
- We manage hardware and software purchasing, installation and configuration to support teaching, learning, and research.
- We provide services and support to individuals and departments across the university to assist with their use of technology.
- We manage and support the university’s learning management system and other applications for teaching and learning.
John M. Rathje
Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer
M.S., Computer Science, Central Michigan University
B.S., Physics, Central Michigan University
The Vice President of Information Technology and CIO provides leadership for all institutional information technology endeavors, and oversees both strategic planning and operational service activities for educational, research, administrative and information security infrastructure efforts. He is responsible for leading the university’s information technology in support of the vision and priorities set by Kent State’s six-year plan, A Strategic Roadmap to a Distinctive Kent State.
He reports directly to the senior vice president for finance and administration, and serves on the President’s Cabinet.
Contact Information: CIO@kent.edu, (330) 672-4704
To be relevant, anticipating the needs of the university community and effectively addressing a dynamic world with creative, impactful and efficient solutions built in a reliable, agile and secure digital environment.
To advance Kent State's mission by inspiring and enabling students, faculty, staff and researchers to do extraordinary things.
To be a recognized leader in providing Information Technology solutions such that we inspire partnerships throughout the university community and beyond.
Our Core Values
Inclusion: We strive to create an environment in which everyone feels valued and respected.
Trust: We are dedicated to fostering relationships that are based on integrity and trust.
Cooperation: Our approach to our partners is one of collaboration and cooperation.
Creativity: We aspire to be innovative and forward-thinking in our initiatives to add value throughout the university community.
Diversity: We appreciate and draw strength from our differences, and we involve and aspire to reflect the communities we serve.
Accountability: We strive to provide services and technologies that are reliable and consistently available.
Appreciation: We strive to continually recognize the true worth of our people through gratitude and respect.
Service: We endeavor to provide exceptional customer service and provide an outstanding learning environment.